• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Digital Baby Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayAir

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what type of digital scheme is used for baby monitors. I have a pair of Graco digital monitors. I scanned them through a sweeper and they use FH, but the voice is digitally coded. What standard are they using?

RayAir

Were you expecting more?

I would appreciate the courtesy that if what you have to say is nowhere close to having any value, then please say nothing at all.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

I would appreciate the courtesy that if what you have to say is nowhere close to having any value, then please say nothing at all.

I asked a simple question.

Sorry if my questions 'have nowhere close to any value' in your opinion.

Hmmm, wonder if you hold your own posts to the same standard? (but we are off topic now, so don't bother answering).

In general the FCC filings would not have the data you were looking for, unless I have missed something, and thought maybe if you were expecting more your answer would have been informative and educating. (Sorry, my mistake)

kb1ipd

It is possible that they use DECT (the standard used by some cordless telephones). Some digital baby monitors do use DECT.

If it is not DECT then in all likelihood it is a completely proprietary system that does not conform to any given standard.

talkpair

If it is not DECT then in all likelihood it is a completely proprietary system that does not conform to any given standard.

OpenCrib............encryption optional.........(as if baby jabber isn't already cryptic enough) :)

I've often thought about using a baby monitor to extend my home scanner's audio to my outdoor activities........lawn mowing in particular.
I realize that just using a portable would be an easier solution, but I'd rather have the performance of a base station.

Anyone have rough range estimates for these things?................I recall having a 49 MHz cordless phone with intercom years ago...... and was alarmed one quiet evening when I heard someone's baby crying in the other room where the base was located.
I have no idea where the signal was coming from, since none of the neighbors had a baby.

There seems to be a good supply of baby monitors on auction sites.

WA6IJD

Premium Subscriber
You might look for used wireless mic transmitters. I've found a few. They work out great. One's I've found use 900 Mhz WFM.

kb1ipd

Anyone have rough range estimates for these things?................I recall having a 49 MHz cordless phone with intercom years ago...... and was alarmed one quiet evening when I heard someone's baby crying in the other room where the base was located.
I have no idea where the signal was coming from, since none of the neighbors had a baby.

The very old cordless phones on the 49mhz band were not very good at all at keeping signals apart. Not much bandwidth in that area and they don't seem to have had a very good system for choosing an open frequency.

I would not even bother with those kind of things - go for something at a much higher frequency, like 900 mhz at least or 2.4 ghz or something. Much better quality, less static less potential for crosstalk. Analog might even be okay, if you don't care about the privacy of the transmission.

Distance has more to do with clear line of sight than anything else. If you put it on the second or third floor of a house and it's not made of brick or has aluminum siding you should be able to get it for a very considerable distance. Of course, higher RF output power will help in this area as well.

OCO

If you don't care about it being analog, consider using something that broadcasts (part 15 legal) in the 88-108 Mhz FM band to extend your listening area. The obvious benefit is the receiver can be anything from an earmuff/fm radio to a portable boombox and you can even feed separate mono feeds in the L/R stereo inputs, although separation is not all that great..(somewhere around 35 db. IIRC). I've used a Ramsey FM100 for years, but there are a lot of kits on the market that would work (although I would use one with digital syntheses for tuning - the older non synthesized ones tend to drift).

Just realized how old the thread was... Oh well:roll: :roll:

Last edited:

stlouisx50

I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to give a heads up to anyone searching and reading the topic.

I had got a pair of wireless headphones for Christmas and they are supposed to operate on 49.870, however I get major out of frequency slippage going all the way up to 49.895. The good thing is, the headphones seem to have a auto tune feature, which solves that problem. You may have to so call push the scan button to get it back on frequency , but they worked to a range of .27 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.