Digital Cell Phone Security/Interception...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb1ipd

Hello..

I hope I am posting this in the right forum. One of my friends recently asked me about the security on cellular phones, and whether it is worthwhile being concerned about privacy/identity theft.

I am aware that all the major digital cell phone systems (CDMA, GSM, iDEN) employ some sort of encryption system. However, I had heared before that GSM had weaknesses which had been exploited.

However, after cruising the internet, I have not seen any refrences to easily avaliable software or hardware capable of intercepting the calls. I've seen some professional systems, but they are only avaliable to government agencies and cost big big bucks.

In the analog days, of course, anyone with an unblocked scanner could tap the cellular band.

So my question boils down to this: Is it worthwhile worrying about amateur or semi-amateur crooks stealing your creditcard number by listening to your phone with a modified scanner and some software?

Or is it more an issue where the only ones who can actually decrypt the call would be either government agencies or large organizations, who probably could get that information anyway, given their resources...

Thanks

KB1IPD

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
Today's cell phones are digital and CANNOT be heard with a scanner...not even a digital scanner...period.

Unless you are the Government, then you are not safe no matter what you do since they have resources that can even hear your thoughts...even through the tin-foil hats.:lol:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The exploit with GSM phones was for the Sim card only. The air interface has not been cracked.

Status
Not open for further replies.