Digital codes for McComb and Pike County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyw011

Premium Subscriber
I am new to digital programming and need some assistance getting my dad's scanner working.

He has a RS Pro-197 we are trying to program to get Pike County and McComb but can't figure out how to input. We have uploaded the conventional code listed in the database but do not work. I know they are digital but they are not on MSWIN.

Any help to program or an upload file would be appreciated.

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
I am new to digital programming and need some assistance getting my dad's scanner working.

He has a RS Pro-197 we are trying to program to get Pike County and McComb but can't figure out how to input. We have uploaded the conventional code listed in the database but do not work. I know they are digital but they are not on MSWIN.

Any help to program or an upload file would be appreciated.

Thanks
Unfortunately, you are out of luck. The McComb/Pike law enforcement use a trunking system that can't be decoded by the Pro-197, or any scanner, for that matter. The system is commonly referred to as the moto-turbo system because of the motor boat sound prevalent when there is any activity on the system. Very unfortunate for scanning enthusiasts, indeed.

lep

Unfortunately, you are out of luck. The McComb/Pike law enforcement use a trunking system that can't be decoded by the Pro-197, or any scanner, for that matter. The system is commonly referred to as the moto-turbo system because of the motor boat sound prevalent when there is any activity on the system. Very unfortunate for scanning enthusiasts, indeed.

MOTOTRBO is a registered trade mark of the Motorola corporation. It is commonly 'referred to as motor-turbo' because so many users of rr.com can't spell. Motorola doesn't usually explain how they name various products but my guess is it is suposed to suggest motorola and turbo (which is normally taken to mean something that goes at a fast speed) not something that sounds like a motor boat!

Your mileage may vary. It was designed as a low cost digital protocol for business radio users, not for public safety users. Trying to save $$$ I personally know of a state government user who purchased a 400 MHz Mototrbo system because their budget didn't accomodate the 'upgrade' to a 700 MHz P-25 system that was about to be forced onto them in the name of home land security interop schemes.

SCPD

QRT
MOTOTRBO is a registered trade mark of the Motorola corporation. It is commonly 'referred to as motor-turbo' because so many users of rr.com can't spell. Motorola doesn't usually explain how they name various products but my guess is it is suposed to suggest motorola and turbo (which is normally taken to mean something that goes at a fast speed) not something that sounds like a motor boat!

Your mileage may vary. It was designed as a low cost digital protocol for business radio users, not for public safety users. Trying to save $$$ I personally know of a state government user who purchased a 400 MHz Mototrbo system because their budget didn't accomodate the 'upgrade' to a 700 MHz P-25 system that was about to be forced onto them in the name of home land security interop schemes.

The point remains, you can't scan those agencies on the Pro-197. However, there is still plenty of analog action in that area and MSWIN is also available.

lep

Correct. There are several digital protocols which you can't scan with a Pro-197. There are work-arounds to use the data from a discriminator tap, see the wiki link already posted. There are no off-the-shelf plug-and-play scanners for MOTOTRBO but it can be decoded by hobbyists who are experimenters.

scanphreak

where did you get the information that Pike County and McComb is using TRBO? I don't see that anywhere in the Database. It shows that they're using VHF and UHF. I don't see any trunked systems listed, and none that are using TRBO.

KE5TLF

I thought I vaguely remembered some discussion on this previously. Thanks for that thread reference.

Ok did a little digging and....

The 151.685 and 153.695 you mentioned in that thread are actually licensed to the Magnolia EPA. They were granted a modification to their license in Feb 2010 to add 7K60FXE and 7K60FXD (TRBO) emissions types. So with what you heard back then one can assume they've switched to TRBO. (just conventional though, no trunking.) On a side note, it's a bit disheartening to see a rural EPA going TRBO. Seems the few I've come across all have been P25 for a while already, and this would seem to cause their own sort of INTEROP problems when these guys are sent to an area outside their normal area to do storm recovery.
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - KKB779 - MAGNOLIA ELECTRIC POWER ASSOCIATION - Applications
ULS Application - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional - 0004112984 - MAGNOLIA ELECTRIC POWER ASSOCIATION - Transaction Log

The 155.430 (WPNW615) also has the TRBO 7k60 emissions on their license and IS marked as such in the Pike County DB. (here again just conventional, NO trunking)
WPNW615 (PIKE, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

The 154.815 (KKC771) though is not so clear. It's narrowest emission types are 11K0F3E and 11K2F1D, which are pretty standard designations for 12.5 KHz wide (aka narrowband) voice(E) and data(D) usage. This is most commonly accomplished with plain old analog or P25. The addition of 11K2F1D (data) was done just 3 months ago. (March 2012). So if they were actually TRBO then one would think they would have added a 7K60 TRBO emission type. But on the other hand it just don't make much sense for one to be TRBO and the other to be something else either.
So on this one I really dunno.:confused: Only thing to do is to check it again and see I guess.
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KKC771 - MCCOMB, CITY OF - Administration
ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Conventional - 0005115341 - MCCOMB, CITY OF - Transaction Log

In closing, it seems there are a few in that region that have drank the TRBO(or other non-P25) kool aid. Need some help to get those areas fixed up in the DB. I'll submit the Magnolia EPA stuff since that seems pretty clear. For the rest it's going to be pretty much necessary for some feedback from those that are more up close and personal with what's going on in the areas.

Last edited:

sealltech

What you need to know.

I do a lot of interop work for the local agencies and have a good working knowledge of the systems being used in pike county. First of all YES it can be done. Ive done it with a custom scanner build I have a fully functional working model on my desk. As I work for the county I am not going to go into the how to build the scanner. Honestly there is a lot of traffic on there that the general public needs no access to. But if your so determined Google is your friend do your homework. Just an FYI The way things work now if you were programming an actual turbo radio would go as follows... you would need the freq, the talk group ID, the color codes, and if they decide to turn it on the privacy key. I am with one of the local VFD also and we are transitioning over to Turbo also for our private fire-ground OPS also McComb FD will soon be transitioning over also. Hope that helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.