Digital Conventional Channel W/O CC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

Is it possible to have a Digital VHF Radio channel without having a trunking system or a Control Channel?

A local department here in the county is about to switch over to their new frequency, it's 155.955 DIGITAL but there are no more to go with it.. I didn't think it was possible to have a Digital channel without a trunking system or control channel.

Also, The radio's they are using on their analog channel now will work on their new digital system, They do both? I didn't think they made those.

btritch

Over here in Kennett, The PD goes Digital on 155.130 NAC 293 all the time so does the fire dept. on 155.820 NAC 293

Ok, So if it's a digital, it's a NAC Number, Not P25..Ok...Now I Gotta Figure Out how To program my PSR 500 for a NAC channel. Thanks For That Answer..

Two counties over their OEM uses the same frequency as an analog channel, I don't know how it's going to work out with one another interferring but I guess we'll see.

My next question is..This is the ONLY channel they plan to use after they switch...BUT they're volunteer so they're going to have to be paged...Can you page on those channels?

Will they have the same audio as a digital p25 system? If so, Good luck inside houses with it, Signal wise also...Big Mistake!

Last edited:

zzdiesel

Yes Brian; these channels over here are either or. I enter Kennett PD & Kennett Fire twice. Once with 85.4 PT Analog and then then other with NAC 293 Digital and the scanners decode which is which.

What is switching over in Greene county?

btritch

Yes Brian; these channels over here are either or. I enter Kennett PD & Kennett Fire twice. Once with 85.4 PT Analog and then then other with NAC 293 Digital and the scanners decode which is which.

What is switching over in Greene county?

Northeast Greene County FD. They're switching off the current 154.445 analog system, Going to their own 155.955 Frequency and It Will Be Digital.

I Gotta figure out how to set it up in my scanner now.

I wonder if they'll use it as both analog and digital. Because they'll have to have an analog to page out, Digital won't work for that, I bet they use analog for pagers and SO communications because SO isn't equipped for Digital Structure..Then They'll use Digital for traffic amongst themselves.. They haven't switched over yet, When They Do I'll Let You Know..
Should I Set my scanner up as Search Instead of CT or DC?

zzdiesel

I believe I would set it for search since you probably don't know what the codes are. You'll need to set up two searches in time. One for CT & DC and then another for NAC after they begin using it.

Magnetsteve

It seems what you are talking about is "P25 Conventional". To put in a scanner you would need the RX channel and the NAC, The easiest way to explain a NAC is its basically a sort-of digital PL tone, if you will... Hopefully this helps

zzdiesel

Brian, I was going to help you by entering it into my system and get the codes for you and the DB, but the 155.955 is the input for our local power company. Let me know when it starts to be used.

btritch

It's also the Jackson County AR OEM office, This is going to get interesting interference wise. anyways, I talked to them more about it today and this is what we know...
1) the analog part of the frequency (155.955) will be able to be used for other depts. to communicate with this department.
2) the page will be the only thing heard on analog, every other traffic there after will be digital.
3) They tell me the FCC hasn't told the private channel yet so he didn't know what it was. When I recited it back to him from memory he said well yea, That's the analog, Not the digital, It's a differnet frequency..However, I have a hunch that it's just the same on set up as a NAC. But from what I am told it's supposed to be a private command channel that's totally different than that one but it's not AWIN and it's not a trunking system, It's a VHF digital channel which means it would have to be a NAC channel? Right?

I don't know when they're going to start using it but when they do I will let ya'll know.

kpoe_28

It's also the Jackson County AR OEM office, This is going to get interesting interference wise. anyways, I talked to them more about it today and this is what we know...
1) the analog part of the frequency (155.955) will be able to be used for other depts. to communicate with this department.
2) the page will be the only thing heard on analog, every other traffic there after will be digital.
3) They tell me the FCC hasn't told the private channel yet so he didn't know what it was. When I recited it back to him from memory he said well yea, That's the analog, Not the digital, It's a differnet frequency..However, I have a hunch that it's just the same on set up as a NAC. But from what I am told it's supposed to be a private command channel that's totally different than that one but it's not AWIN and it's not a trunking system, It's a VHF digital channel which means it would have to be a NAC channel? Right?

I don't know when they're going to start using it but when they do I will let ya'll know.

Would you happen to know what frequency AirEvac is on out of Jonesboro, AirEvac 2 I think?

btritch

Yes Brian, you'll need to enter it twice in your radio when you/we figure it out. One time for an analog code and another for a digital NAC code.

Alright ZZ, I will do that.
kpoe 153.605 DPL 051. It's the Air Evac 2 dispatch, It's actually at Forrest City. Evac is in Jonesboro But The Dispatch Tower is In Forrest City. You Should Hear It Though, I Can Hear It From Here.

zzdiesel

I'm sorry Brian. I just realized that I posted that response twice. I get on here sometimes when I'm too tired. Thanks for the other Air Evac as well. I have two now, That one and the one in Poplar Bluff.

poppafred

I am about to run into the same thing here.

Franklin Co. and my city, Charleston, have been at odds for years about dispatching fees and repeaters. The county was supposed to install a pair of repeaters in the southern half of the county so our PD and fire department could be more easily heard but after a dust up last spring over fees, the repeaters were committed to two other north county areas, leaving south county out in the cold. The current repeater for the SO is in the center of the northern half of the county and coverage is shoddy for anyone with a hand held in the southern half. The city has finally decided to obtain their own repeater and just allow the county to have access. They are also checking into mobile terminals in the cars to limit the number of calls they have to make to the twits that dispatch for us. You would have to listen to this crew over in the dispatch center just once and you would recognize how accurate that evaluation is. Out of all of the dispatchers, only 2 really know what they are doing and they carry the load when they are on duty. Besides, its a small county and they don't pay enough to keep the really good ones.

Anyway, mobile terminals would allow the cars to query the ACIC system directly and avoid further fees by bypassing the dispatchers. My source said the terminals would save enough on dispatch fees to pay for themselves in under 2 years.

Another chat with my source said the city is going to put up its own tower and have its own repeater installed. The communications company wants them to lease the system but the city wants total control. They are tired of others telling them how much they have to pay each year and want to just drop the dime and be done with it. It is currently planned to be digital (hopefully not encrypted) and should be compatable somehow with the current analog system. How they plan on doing that is beyond me. Maybe a cross-over interface of some type.

I keep watching for new licenses in the state, waiting for the FCC to publish the grant. I already know now I am going to need help when the day comes to program the new repeater into my Pro-197.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Alright ZZ, I will do that.
kpoe 153.605 DPL 051. It's the Air Evac 2 dispatch, It's actually at Forrest City. Evac is in Jonesboro But The Dispatch Tower is In Forrest City. You Should Hear It Though, I Can Hear It From Here.

They call it Forrest City tower but the FCC shows it close to Cherry Valley in Cross Co.

AirEvac 42 flies out of Marianna...I don't remember what chopper flies outta Jonesboro.
There's also a freq for up around Luxora too that I hear chatter on.....can't remember it off hand, same tone tho.

Try this....Arkansas Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference EVAC LIFETEAM

btritch

I Heard Air Evac 42 land at our hospital here last week but I don't remember where it was out of. I'm glad you mentioned that.
I used to have the Luxora Tower, I heard air evac inadvertently hollering for Air Evac Dispatch on Luxora Tower the other day but they were on 340.

btritch

kpoe_28

Status
Not open for further replies.