• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Digital Encrypted, 796D to 996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freqed

Premium Subscriber
I listen to an ID with the OK state DPS system that is 800 type 2 with mixed Digital/Analog.
On my 796D the local PD uses a digital ID, and one user is encrypted and the others are not. On the 996T when the encryted ID talks after a second, the audio is gone, while the 796D allows you to hear the garbled transmission completly. Is there a way to have the 996T do the same?

mam1081

Premium Subscriber
It should unmute on the clear transmission - is it not doing that? Listen to both scanners at the same time and see. My 996 (and 396) mutes on the P25 transmission while it is encrypted, but does allow audio as soon at it turns "clear".

Both scanners do have quite a delay to change from P25 to analog though. Could be rather annoying on an mixed mode system (unless you program 2 channels - one for P25 and one for analog (with a tone) and put a 0 delay time on it).

Freqed

Premium Subscriber
It does unmute on clear transmissons, I was running them side by side tonight, is how I noticed the difference. It is like as soon as the 996T figures out it is Enc. it mutes, while the 796D doesn't. Another thing I noticed tonight, when locked on an ID the 796D picks up all transmissions as soon as they are keyed up, while the 996T misses the first part of the first transmission, kinda of like my Pro-2067 does when it is locked on an ID. I know the Pro-2067 keeps scanning even when locked onto an ID, is the 996T doing the same thing?

mypoppa

Like i said before,you got the money you can have the funny.There is no encryption that can be secure. Ask Bill Clinton!

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have a problem with that in Jacksonville FL JFRFD they have bravo channels are not ENC. I might to send my mine off when I get back home and see what is up with it. I noticed on some B channels they say ENC and I talk to a few people they say its not ENC on their radio. Strange huh!? I had mine since Fed 06.

Status
Not open for further replies.