Digital Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmagic4u

I have a Radio Shack Pro 97 I live in Montebello Ca. I think they went digital. I get alot of distortion on Montebello frequencies does that mean that they are digital? Is there a way of picking up digital signals on Radio Shack Pro 97. How do talkgroups work? Thanks

whiskeytango

Interagency Communications Interoperability (ICIS) Trunking System, Various, California - Scanner Frequencies

look in the column under mode, if theres a 'd' then that talk group is digi, but your montelbello pd dispatch is still analog.

pro 97 cant recieve digital, youll need a $500ish scanner do decode digi, looks like half of the talk groups are digi so far.

talk groups are like extensions in an office building, you call the operator (the control channel in the radio system) and it tells you what extension or talk group the desired people are on. the talk groups are instantly assigned a frequency from the pool of available ones. read the trunking wiki page on this site for more info

brandon

Database Admin
Montebello switched to digital this week.
Unfortunately you will need a newer scanner. A used digital scanner such as the Pro-96 will do the trick for about $200.
Otherwise your in the $400 range for top of the line digital scanner such as BCD396XT, 996XT, PSR-500/600 or Pro-197

judas12

I have a Radio Shack Pro 97 I live in Montebello Ca. I think they went digital. I get alot of distortion on Montebello frequencies does that mean that they are digital? Is there a way of picking up digital signals on Radio Shack Pro 97. How do talkgroups work? Thanks

Montebello PD is Analog. I am listening to them right now. Trunk it and put in the TGID'S you will recieve MPD

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
396 xt best handheld scanner ever made handheld

996xt best mobile scanner ever made
There are a LOT of people that will disagree with that statement. It's like the Coke vs Pepsi or Ford vs Chevy debate. A lot depends on how and where you use it. Unless you've had both brands and models sitting side by side, you do not really know.

brandon

Database Admin
I concur. I have both a PSR-500 and 396XT and the digital audio sounds better on the PSR-500.
Both are great radios though!

spock00

I heard there was a recent firmware update for the Uniden bc-396t and it improves the digital decoding. I had a 396t a few years ago and was very disappointed with local LAPD reception. From reading various forums including this one I've heard numerous similar complaints with the digital decoding/reception on the Uniden 396t.

Status
Not open for further replies.