Digital in the Hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigshanks

So, before I drop the moola for a new toy...............Is there enough digital activity in Medicine Hat other than the police to warrant the $$$$$ for a digital scanner. All my ham radio gear is capable of scanning a up to 900mhz, and I have an old Realistic Pro-2005 that works fine as well.

avgas

Hey Pigshanks.

The city police and the Fire Dept are about the only thing digital that I listen to. I picked up a pro-96 mainly so I could hear the Fire Dept. I would like to set my radio up to listen to the fleetnet system in Sask but I have no idea how to do that. I am new to digital. Maybe some day I will take the time to figure it out or will run into someone that can help me out. I hope this helps you.

Pigshanks

Thanks for the reply.

Been involved with radios forever. I have had scanners of some sort since the early 80's. Just picked up a lightly used Pro-96, hoping it will not take too long in the mail to get here. I have been doing most of my scanning with my ham gear, but with the police going digital years ago was unable to justify a dedicated receiver for a couple of frequencies. Hope to swap some frequencies with you.

Shawn

avgas

No problem.

For sure we can swap freq. I would like to get into ham myself. Just dont know how hard it is to pass the test or have never had anyone handy to talk about it really.

Kel

Pigshanks

No problem.

For sure we can swap freq. I would like to get into ham myself. Just dont know how hard it is to pass the test or have never had anyone handy to talk about it really.

Kel

Ham exam is fairly easy. Since morse code requirement were dropped, it is a lot of regs and procedures with a bit of electronics theory. A fellow ham and myself are looking at running a course this fall so let me know if your interested.

Shawn

avgas

I would be interested for sure if I can make it to the times your going to be teaching. About how long are the classes?

Pigshanks

Yes, there are a few locals that are qualified to oversee the test. And like I said, once times and dates are confirmed I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.