Digital Mode Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
Maybe $40 could be better.
How did you come up with $40.00?

I am sure Uniden did market research on how many people would buy the upgrades and set the price accordingly.

I am sure Uniden can back the $60.00 upgrade with real numbers and market research. It am sure you can not defend $40.00 with any of that. How many upgrades did they sell so far? How many do they anticipate selling this year ? What is the life expectancy of the product? How much was spent on research and development? How much does Uniden spend researching and developing new scanners? How much does the license cost? How much did the lawyers cost to read the license agreement? Unless you have those answers picking a number out of the air is just that.

$60.00 is not worth the value to you to purchase an upgrade, that is fine don’t pay it. $40.00 is not worth the value to sell you the upgrade to Uniden. Again Uniden or any well established company just don’t pull prices out of their rear end.

But if Uniden Sales reads these posts they will likely be convinced they have plenty of defenders of the $60 fee for DMR and probably not consider a sale.
I am just going to start a thread about everything I buy saying it is too expensive and they should sell their product at the price I like. This way every manufacturer will have sales. This thread is not going to make Uniden have a sales. If Uniden is not reaching their goal of number of upgrades they will re-evaluate the price and sales.

MStep

I think that "pricing" per se is more of a cultural issue that many Americans are not accustomed to. Here is the good ole USA, we are used to walking into department stores blaring messages of "save 25% - 50%". Remember the frantic days of "Blue Light" specials at Walmart with half-crazed men and women rushing with their shopping cards as soon as the announcements were made and the blue light turned on? Can't speak about the rest of the world, but stuff like "Special Sales", "Bonus Discounts", "Get "Em While They're Hot", are all ingrained into the fabric of American society. The Japanese society seems to be a little more conservative in that regard.

As far as the upgrades, you buy what you need. When I got my first 536, I splurged and bought all 3. WIth my first SDS200, I found that I did not need anything but the DMR upgrade. Considering developmental costs, licensing fees, and all the rest, I think they are sitting at a reasonable price.

MStep

Kmart, not Walmart. 😉

Touche. And look what ended up happened to them. My point was that the Japanese as a culture are not accustomed to the kind of "haggling" that folks here in the US are accustomed to. While it may be becoming more common in Japan, in the US it's more the rule than the exception.

GROL

How did you come up with $40.00?

I am sure Uniden can back the $60.00 upgrade with real numbers and market research. It am sure you can not defend $40.00 with any of that. How many upgrades did they sell so far? How many do they anticipate selling this year ? What is the life expectancy of the product? How much was spent on research and development? How much does Uniden spend researching and developing new scanners? How much does the license cost? How much did the lawyers cost to read the license agreement? Unless you have those answers picking a number out of the air is just that.

$60.00 is not worth the value to you to purchase an upgrade, that is fine don’t pay it. $40.00 is not worth the value to sell you the upgrade to Uniden. Again Uniden or any well established company just don’t pull prices out of their rear end.

I am just going to start a thread about everything I buy saying it is too expensive and they should sell their product at the price I like. This way every manufacturer will have sales. This thread is not going to make Uniden have a sales. If Uniden is not reaching their goal of number of upgrades they will re-evaluate the price and sales.
How do you come up with $60 being good?

900mhz

In a capitalistic society, the price of something is what the market bears. Example...property in the Hamptons and other areas of Suffolk County NY...for those lucky (and shall I personally say smart enough), if you bought before COVID, look at what the property appreciation is now...If people are willing to pay 30 dollars for a dozen eggs, that's the going price.

GROL

In a capitalistic society, the price of something is what the market bears. Example...property in the Hamptons and other areas of Suffolk County NY...for those lucky (and shall I personally say smart enough), if you bought before COVID, look at what the property appreciation is now...If people are willing to pay 30 dollars for a dozen eggs, that's the going price.
Exactly correct! Fine example. I have not traded houses now because the prices are too high. I cannot justify a high mortgage due to covid. I have never paid what they wanted for a new car. And I finally learned the lesson that you never buy a new car! I have negotiated deals for network infrastructure and never paid the first offer. I did not buy a BCD436HP until it was on sale on Amazon for $340 and did not buy a BCD325P2 until it was on sale fore $369. Consumers set the market!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Of course Uniden came up with the Price. Is it good?
-
If you pay a dealer to install those upgrades instead of buying them direct from Uniden, you'll pay $75.00 for each upgrade.

If you purchase all 3 upgrades as I did...

From Uniden = $160.00
From Dealers = $225.00

Difference = $65.00 ...... That's who's making the profits on the upgrades.

GROL

I am sure Uniden can back the $60.00 upgrade with real numbers and market research. It am sure you can not defend $40.00 with any of that.
We have no information to support those assumptions.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
-
Not sure what point you are trying to make here...

If the current upgrade prices justify your need/want to listen to those systems, buy the upgrades like many of us have.

If you think Uniden will reduce their prices to be inline with your marketing strategies, take a seat and wait (probably for a very long time) while the rest of us enjoy our upgrades.

If you don't think the prices are fair and/or Uniden is cheating the public, don't buy the upgrades.... It's that simple for most folks. Why keep whining about it?

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
Consumers set the market
Consumers are one part of the puzzle that sets the market not the sole part. Supply and demand, competition, production costs among others are other major parts that set the market.
I have never paid what they wanted for a new car.
The dealer would only go so low before he he decides not to sell to you based on what they paid for the car and the dealership operating costs, how much demand for that specific vehicle.

It is safe to assume Uniden did all that research being a well established company with part of the research being what will the consumers be willing to pay for the upgrades. It is safe to assume that they did not pick a number out of thin air and said that sounds good. If that is the way Uniden prices their products they would not be in business to long.

What information do you have that $40.00 is a fair price other than that is what you are willing to pay? I not willing to pay $650.00 for scanner, but I don’t think Uniden should lower the price to $400.00 which is what I am willing to pay for a scanner.

I don’t see how Uniden having a sale would benifit Uniden at all. Usually sales will have a benefit in some way to the company. Maybe a distributer can have a sale on the upgrade if you buy the scanner from them. Distributer loses a little money on the upgrade, but makes up for it in sales of more scanners.

Anyway that is my 2 cents if my opinion is worth that much.😁

GROL

Consumers are one part of the puzzle that sets the market not the sole part. Supply and demand, competition, production costs among others are other major parts that set the market.

The dealer would only go so low before he he decides not to sell to you based on what they paid for the car and the dealership operating costs, how much demand for that specific vehicle.

It is safe to assume Uniden did all that research being a well established company with part of the research being what will the consumers be willing to pay for the upgrades. It is safe to assume that they did not pick a number out of thin air and said that sounds good. If that is the way Uniden prices their products they would not be in business to long.

What information do you have that $40.00 is a fair price other than that is what you are willing to pay? I not willing to pay $650.00 for scanner, but I don’t think Uniden should lower the price to $400.00 which is what I am willing to pay for a scanner.

I don’t see how Uniden having a sale would benifit Uniden at all. Usually sales will have a benefit in some way to the company. Maybe a distributer can have a sale on the upgrade if you buy the scanner from them. Distributer loses a little money on the upgrade, but makes up for it in sales of more scanners.

Anyway that is my 2 cents if my opinion is worth that much.😁
What information does anyone have that $40 is not a fair price. As mentioned before, we have no information to support the assumption by AJAT " I am sure Uniden can back the $60.00 upgrade with real numbers and market research. It am sure you can not defend $40.00 with any of that." We have zero information to support such a supposition. All we know is Uniden set the price at $60. We don't know any of the guesses that are being made about that price.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I am sure Uniden can back the $60.00 upgrade with real numbers and market research.

If you don’t want to believe that Uniden did extensive research on how to price their products and think they just said “hey Bob how does $60.00 sound? Sounds good Fred I will see tomorrow” then keep believing that. That link is just the beginning. Is 60.00 “fair” what do you consider fair? All I am trying to say is companies do extensive research and analysis before setting prices. What market research did you do other then I “feel” like $40.00 is good.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
What information does anyone have that $40 is not a fair price.
-
You're the one that proposed the $40 price in the first place, it's on you to provide the information that it is a fair price.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
Not sure if/how this plays into this conversation, but I've noticed that some people are less willing to pay for soft IP. Back when we had to buy crystals for the frequencies we wanted to monitor, we purchased a tangible, physical asset. We didn't question the cost because it had to be manufactured and shipped. We needed to touch it and put it in the scanner to get what we wanted. With software, I think there is a tendency with some people that somehow that means it should cost less because there is no physical component.

In this case, the capability is already built in to the physical device and we are simply paying for access to that feature. Be thankful it's not a subscription model. I think some people feel that the feature should cost less because it's already there and there isn't much to enabling the feature. The reasons for the cost (R&D, licensing, upgrade infrastructure and profit) have already been discussed.

I paid for all 3 when I bought the unit "just in case". It was worth it to me: it was a one-time cost for the life of the unit and includes support. The OP stated that they'd be OK with paying $40; not $60. I don't understand how $20 should make a difference, but the point is that the OP has a choice; Uniden did not include the cost for all in the price of the hardware. ProVoice is the best example of why this would be bad for most. I would be more than willing to pay $$$ for firmware/key to be able to monitor TETRA if they invest in the cost and licensing... But again, most people would not want/need that like I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.