• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Digital on frs

radioopperator

Feed Provider
There are MOTOROLA DMR systems starting to show up on the FRS channels on freq. And on GMRS channels too. Between California and AZ.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are MOTOROLA DMR systems starting to show up on the FRS channels on freq. And on GMRS channels too. Between California and AZ.

DMR or any digital is not legal for voice use on FRS. There are those that are illegally doing it, but it's not legal under FCC rules.

There is -ONE- experimental license that has been granted by the FCC in California that has allowed DMR on GMRS. It's under an experimental license, which is different than a regular GMRS license. So far it has been renewed each year. It's limited to specific channels and to a very limited area.

On Frs ?? Do tell ? That's interesting since Frs is license by rule .

It's not on FRS. It's only on specific GMRS channels in a specific location. It's limited to a specific group of users.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
actually there have been some experimental licenses issued

Haven't looked at this for the current year.

There were two experimental licenses granted to use DMR on GMRS, both in Central California.

The Norther California GMRS users Group had been requesting a renewal of their experimental license every year for the last several years. One other user had been doing it for a bit, also.
Both experimental licenses were denied for this year by the FCC https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=336289&x=.. The reason the FCC gave was:

This refers to application, File No. 1487-EX-CN-2023, for an experimental authorization.​
You are advised that the Commission is unable to grant your application for the facilities requested. Wireless Bureau objects since they find that operation of incompatible technologies on GMRS frequencies undermines the listen before talk etiquette and could lead to interference with other GMRS licenses on these shared frequencies. The use of digital voice modulation techniques using DMR are not permitted under the rules in Part 95, and the Commission, in 2017, considered and declined to permit such emissions in the GMRS.​
So, no longer any "experimental licenses" on GMRS for digital/DMR use. Still not legal.

*Yes, we all know there are those that won't/can't follow rules and will do it anyway. That is different than it being legal for use on GMRS or FRS.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Wireless Bureau objects since they find that operation of incompatible technologies on GMRS frequencies undermines the listen before talk etiquette and could lead to interference with other GMRS licenses on these shared frequencies.

Just on a side note here, the "undermines the listen before talk etiquette and could lead to interference…" might also be a reason to rule against linked repeaters that are not set up to monitor the repeater output frequency before transmitting.

Maybe, just maybe, the FCC is paying attention after all.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
So, no longer any "experimental licenses" on GMRS for digital/DMR use. Still not legal.

*Yes, we all know there are those that won't/can't follow rules and will do it anyway. That is different than it being legal for use on GMRS or FRS.
Those who like to start or resurrect a "We MUST have DMR on GMRS" thread here or on other forums will be SO sad to hear the news.

Nah. They will wave their arms and come up with some excuse why what the FCC said doesn't matter because we MUST have DMR on GMRS!!

radioopperator

Feed Provider
If you watched for years Manufacturers have been trying to get GPS data approved on gmrs ware it has no business!!
If you are near an OCEAN or another country you have to contend with the issues caused by that in GMRS the 10 meg splits the foreign countries use on GMRS and the cruse liners using it within the 12 mile limit! Years ago I personally boarded a few cruse liners after going to the coast guard and the FCC and told radio officers on board if they jammed my signals within the 12 mile limit I would have my government seize the vessel! Then told them do I need to contact the captain next to see this stops? Quickly was told no the captain doesn't need to be involved and they would rectify the issue. And for the most part they did. Just can't get the FCC to make the MEXICO call to stop the jamming on the GMRS inputs from the TJ DMR trunking systems. They are txing on about 467.60625 high power and dirty.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Digital *voice* is not allowed on GMRS at all. Only text messages.

Correct, as I stated several times above.

However, up until 2024, there was the Northern California GMRS users group that had an experimental license to run DMR on GMRS. It was under an experimental license and NOT a GMRS license.
The FCC denied it when they tried to file for another year.

KB2GOM

Correct, as I stated several times above.

However, up until 2024, there was the Northern California GMRS users group that had an experimental license to run DMR on GMRS. It was under an experimental license and NOT a GMRS license.
The FCC denied it when they tried to file for another year.

OK, are there GMRS/FRS radios are designed to allow the sending of text messages?

nd5y

There are some radios that connect to a smart phone via bluetooth or wifi that allow the phone to send text messages over MURS or FRS. I don't remember what they are called.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, are there GMRS/FRS radios are designed to allow the sending of text messages?
Motorola Talkabout T800 will Talkabout T800 Walkie-Talkies - Motorola Solutions
Garmin Rino will send GPS location between radios.

§ 95.1731 Permissible GMRS uses.
The operator of a GMRS station may use that station for two-way plain language voice communications with other GMRS stations and with FRS units concerning personal or business activities.

(d) Digital data. GMRS hand-held portable units may transmit digital data containing location information, or requesting location information from one or more other GMRS or FRS units, or
containing a brief text message to another specific GMRS or FRS unit.

§ 95.531 Permissible FRS uses.

FRS units are primarily used for short-distance two-way voice communications between individuals.

(a) Digital data. In addition to voice conversations, FRS units may transmit digital data containing location information, or requesting location information from one or more other FRS or GMRS units, or containing a brief text message to another specific GMRS or FRS unit. Digital data transmissions may be initiated by a manual action of the operator or on an automatic or periodic basis, and a FRS unit receiving an interrogation request may automatically respond with its location. See also § 95.587(c).

bill4long

Just on a side note here, the "undermines the listen before talk etiquette and could lead to interference…" might also be a reason to rule against linked repeaters that are not set up to monitor the repeater output frequency before transmitting.

Maybe, just maybe, the FCC is paying attention after all.

Not. Holding. Breath.