• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Digital patched analog question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobsmith

So, I live in a county where the County Based EMS has digital radios, they are on the P25 digital state trunking system well, the original plan was for the analog repeaters/radios to be recycled and taken out of service. Well, the private ambulance companies couldn't "afford" to get new digital radios so the county donated all their old analog radios to the private ambulance companies.

So the UHF analog repeaters are still active and patched in to the new digital system well my question is... how do they patch the old analog raidos and new digital raidos together. The dispatcher TXs is in digital too ONLY the private EMS is analog.

Anyways...They act as one system... when the digital radio transmits the user of the analog radios can hear their transmission and vice-versa. From what I hear once they private ambulance companies have the money they will move to the digital radio system and then the analog radios will be taken out of service and recycled.

Sorry for the long question... I'm new here. :) Thanks!!

n5ims

Thinking of it this way should make this pretty easy for you. Once the radio is finished with its part, the audio is analog so you can easily patch analog to analog, digital to analog, digital to digital or pretty much any other combination you can think of (e.g. digital P-25 to digital MotoTRBO or even encrypted digital OpenSky to telephone audio feeding a conference call if that's what is required). What can be patched together is dependent on the capabilities of the radios used for the patching, not the radios used by the users (although obviously the patching radios will need to handle what the user's radios are capable of).

While some setups may allow a more direct patching method, they all can be pictured with this most simplistic design.

User's Radio <--> System Radio <--> Patching Device <--> System Radio <--> User's Radio

Last edited:

fdcaptjd

Hello.

As mentioned above, the "patch" uses the recovered voice. Meaning, what you would hear from the speaker were you sitting in from of the radio.

A simple way to patch a digital repeater to an analog would be to connect a digital mobile to an analog mobile. When the digital system goes active, the digital radio would hear it, hand its received audio to the analog radio, which would go into transmit and send the audio to the analog system. The process works the other direction, too.

A simple black box that is easily connected to radios and performs this function is something like the Trident I-OP interoperability box.

Not a sales pitch, as I am not connected with Trident in any way. Just a product that I am aware of.

Regards,

JD

RKG

Or you can do it through a console with a press of a button (or click of a mouse). But the process is essentially the same. Console's detection of receiver qualification on Radio A causes it to key Radio B and pass the analog audio on Radio A's Rx line to Radio B's Tx line. If Radio A is digital, the digital audio has passed through the DIU and been converted to analog before the console channel card sees it, and if Radio B is digital, the console passes analog audio to the DIU where it is converted to digital and sent to Radio B.

Status
Not open for further replies.