Digital question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary66

Where is how can I found out if I need a digital scanner in my area? I live in Lancaster County PA. I want to get my husband a new scanner since his was old and died. He said something about Lancaster County changing to digital so it wouldn't work any longer anyway. I don't know if that is correct or not. I don't want to ask him too many questions since I want to surprise him.

Any help would be appreciated.

masonb

If its digial then you will need eaither a Uniden BCD396T or a PSR(500/600)

A simple google search will turn up much

Bucko

Welcome to RR, the data base( http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2276 )shows the only digital that can be monitored is the York co public safety. There is some conventional things listed that can be monitored however Lancaster county wide communications along with the StarNet is OPEN SKY and is not monitor able with any scanner .

xpawel15x

Yes the York county public safety is digital. Another digital scanner is a RS 96/2096.

mary66

Just so I get this right - there isn't any scanner that can monitor Lancaster County?

xpawel15x

Just so I get this right - there isn't any scanner that can monitor Lancaster County?

No, any scanner will monitor Lancaster County. Doesn't have to be a digital scanner. Any conventional scanner will do. But the only thing listed as monitorable digital is York County PS. So if that's what he wants to monitor, he will need a digital scanner.

P.S. - All those towns listed here http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2660 are not monitorable by any scanner.

Last edited:

mary66

No, any scanner will monitor Lancaster County. Doesn't have to be a digital scanner. Any conventional scanner will do. But the only thing listed as monitorable digital is York County PS. So if that's what he wants to monitor, he will need a digital scanner.

P.S. - All those towns listed here http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2660 are not monitorable by any scanner.

Thanks so much - that is just what I needed to know. Now I can buy the scanner (non digital) and be sure it will work for Lancaster County. Thanks for helping out a novice.

ocguard

Please be aware that Lancaster County has recently scrapped a plan to move to a radio system that is not monitor-able by ANY scanner. Although this project has been canceled, Lancaster County will most likely implement another type of digital radio system (very likely a P25 system -- which can be monitored by any digital scanner) in the next few years. If you HAVE the capital to invest in a digital-ready scanner, it would probably be the best decision, as this is the 'wave of the future.' Any digital scanner can also monitor analog (non-digital) systems as well. Just my two cents!

Modern, digital trunk-tracking scanners:
Uniden BCD396T (handheld)
Uniden BCD996T (base/mobile)
GRECom PSR-500 (handheld)
GRECom PSR-600 (base/mobile)

All will cost right around $500 from www.scannermaster.com or www.usascan.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.