Digital Radio Mondiale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As someone who likes to dig for weak signals on occasion, my opinion cannot be repeated on a family-oriented board :.>> It's rather similar to In Band On Channel (IBOC) on MW, where the sidebands can potentially hide or mask a weaker signal that would otherwise be able to heard, if the signal was analog.

However, from a purely listening standpoint, if mother nature cooperates and you get a nice strong signal, the audio quality is, no doubt, better than a standard analog signal

73 Mike

As someone who likes to dig for weak signals on occasion, my opinion cannot be repeated on a family-oriented board :.>> It's rather similar to In Band On Channel (IBOC) on MW, where the sidebands can potentially hide or mask a weaker signal that would otherwise be able to heard, if the signal was analog.
73 Mike

That's what I was afraid of, I also like to dig for those weak signals, that's half the fun :)

Steven - K8PEZ

D

DaveNF2G

DRM is still too expensive and complicated for casual use by a non-techie listener.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Expensive? It's a little daunting, technically, because you need to tap the radio to feed the software correctly (and not all radios are capable of this), but the Dream software is free, last I looked.

There are a few portables in Europe and Asia that are evidently DRM capable, but I don't think they've made it to the States yet. 73 Mike

[edit] I don't know if it will make it to the final production models, but pages 18 and 19 of the Satellit 750 owner's manual says that there will be a 12khz output jack for DRM decoding. It's available under the 'Grundig' products on the Eton website.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

The expense comes in if you want to buy a radio that will do DRM out of the box, without modification and without attaching a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.