Digital scanner recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

acre

Thanks to the fine folks on this forum, I have concluded that I need a new digital scanner. I prefer to start a new thread.

I'd like to receive OPP, fire, ambulance, and other digital trunking emergency broadcasts. The world of scanning has become SO complicated from the analog days. My knowledge of all the different terms is quite limited. Here's what I think I need:

- 30 to 50 channels
- digital reception (phase 2?)
- extremely simple to set up and program

What I don't think I need:

- thousands of channel slots
- automatic search for when I leave my area
- mobile

As you can see, I'm really new to the digital scanning world. My budget is in the $400 to $500 (Cnd) range. Durham Radio is a very good retailer that operates within a 40 minute drive for me. Trouble is, they seem to have a very limited digital scanner inventory. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

papa_p

Thanks to the fine folks on this forum, I have concluded that I need a new digital scanner. I prefer to start a new thread.

I'd like to receive OPP, fire, ambulance, and other digital emergency broadcasts. The world of scanning has become SO complicated from the analog days. My knowledge of all the different terms is quite limited. Here's what I think I need:

- 30 to 50 channels

- digital reception (phase 2?)

- extremely simple to set up and program

What I don't think I need:

- thousands of channel slots

- automatic search for when I leave my area

- mobile

As you can see, I'm really new to the digital scanning world. My budget is in the $400 to $500 (Cnd) range. Durham Radio is a very good retailer that operates within a 40 minute drive for me. Trouble is, they seem to have a very limited digital scanner inventory. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Uniden is the only one that can auto tune when you leave your area. You need a BCD436HP with optional GPS. The 436 is portable, easy to program and has gps function. Only thing is your price range you’ll have to go refurbished or used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

acre

Thanks Papa. Appreciate the advice. The price range is flexible, depending on the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor :)). Also, the BCD436HP has a ton of options I'll likely never use.

mciupa

Phase 2 is not needed unless keeping track of Go Buses are your thing. That right there will knock down the price.
A HomePatrol -1, BCD996XT or WS 1065 will do for digital base model..

acre

I've just read some posts about this. I'm certainly not the only one who thinks I can just program in a frequency and listen in :). That's from the old days.

Many thanks to member EJB (Eric?) for spelling out that the easiest route to go is to buy a scanner with a Fleetnet database. His explanations are most helpful! So, I guess I must add that to my shopping list.

acre

Wow, is that all Phase 2 does? Didn't know that :). I've heard of Home Patrol. Thanks for the input, Mciupa.

Status
Not open for further replies.