Digital Scanner SALE @ RadioShack

Status
Not open for further replies.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
FYI, the Pro-96 and Pro-2096 will be on SALE for $399.99. Sale dates are
October 29, 2006 through November 11, 2006.

Also the Pro-97 will be on sale for $149.99.​

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
I'd buy five if they only tracked 700MHz control channels.

RS is really behind the curve on that one because in side by side comparisons with my 396/996 radios the 96/2096 are much better.

Jim<

Last edited:

TheLizard

Nice!

I got a 2096 for $499. I'm gonna take it back while I'm still within 30 days and get a 96 instead for $100 cheaper :D

THanks for the heads up - I never would have heard about it 'til it was too late.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
TheLizard said:
I got a 2096 for $499. I'm gonna take it back while I'm still within 30 days and get a 96 instead for $100 cheaper :D

THanks for the heads up - I never would have heard about it 'til it was too late.

You can come by my store and I'll take care of you. It would be great to meet you. :)

n4voxgill

Silent Key
There are three proposals before the FCC that would change the frequencies in the 700 MHz public safety allocation. I don't know if uniden can change the frequencies that their scanners receive, but if any of these proposals are accepted it would add frequencies beyond the ones that they now cover. Between that and the still unknown about rebanding, GRE may well be playing it safe to wait for everything to shake out.

SCPD

QRT
n4voxgill said:
There are three proposals before the FCC that would change the frequencies in the 700 MHz public safety allocation. I don't know if uniden can change the frequencies that their scanners receive, but if any of these proposals are accepted it would add frequencies beyond the ones that they now cover. Between that and the still unknown about rebanding, GRE may well be playing it safe to wait for everything to shake out.

That's not really a very good argument. There are plenty of PS radios out now that do 700 MHz, with known usable frequencies and modulation types.

The proposals to the FCC are mostly data related, and are not directly for voice. There is additional spectrum that was supposed to be auctioned and there are organizations trying to change that to get more spectrum that would be used (for data) jointly for public safety and commercial use. This will have no effect on the already designated voice frequencies. That has been well laid out.

Also, it is very clear what frequencies will be used for what after the re-banding. The implementation schedule keeps changing, but not the band plan.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I'm just glad no one I listen is on 700mhz or going there. I've been keeping an eye on when Pueblo County will go to the DTRS, and I'd bet good money that when the new towers go in down there, they'll be 700mhz. Fortunately for me, thats still a ways off. I've got time to wait for GRE/RS to come out with something new.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
logitec said:
That's not really a very good argument. There are plenty of PS radios out now that do 700 MHz, with known usable frequencies and modulation types.

The proposals to the FCC are mostly data related, and are not directly for voice. There is additional spectrum that was supposed to be auctioned and there are organizations trying to change that to get more spectrum that would be used (for data) jointly for public safety and commercial use. This will have no effect on the already designated voice frequencies. That has been well laid out.

Also, it is very clear what frequencies will be used for what after the re-banding. The implementation schedule keeps changing, but not the band plan.

that is not true, they will include voice channels, and figures are being prepared on what it will cost to reprogram or update the radios. Actually very few have actually been programed for 700 only systems.

rc104a

abqscan said:
You can come by my store and I'll take care of you. It would be great to meet you. :)

What is the difference between the 96 and 2096?
Do they both have capabilities to log?
Where is your store?

Rick

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
rc104a said:

96 is handheld and 2096 is mobile / base

Yes pro96com will work on both

Where is your store?

Parker

Rick

Thanks Jim<

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
rc104a said:
Rick

No difference at all, neither can log. Only the Unidens.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
700 MHz would not be an issue if uniden had no gaps in that range to begin with.

Hopefully there will be a firmware solution for the models involved provided they do not need FCC re-certification.

Interesting their recent analog wide coverage models do have the entire range.

What one considers logging varies by what information the individual is looking for. In any case this ability is dependent upon computer software options for both Uniden and GRE models.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
rc104a said:
Where is your store?
Rick

The 96 and 2096 are one in the same. Handheld vs. Mobile/Base.

My store is in Parker, Co. Parker and Main St. are my crossstreets.

rickak

rdale said:
...but you can't hear audio when logging...

you can if you use the software to drive a uniden scanner. Wish it worked better for me though when I tried it with my BC785D, because it was really cool to be able to have priorites on talk groups.

Rick

SCPD

QRT
n4voxgill said:
that is not true, they will include voice channels, and figures are being prepared on what it will cost to reprogram or update the radios. Actually very few have actually been programed for 700 only systems.

Anyway, you can't really plan around proposals or you would never get anything done. There are always proposals in front of the FCC, some they act on, some they don't. You have to work with what is in place today.

Smart radio or scanner manufacturers will try to anticipate likely future changes and make the equipment upgradeable, unless they just want to sell new stuff. But you can't sit around waiting for stuff that may or may not happen. Remember the FCC usually does not move fast.

Spud

Not all sites moving to 700 MHz

logitec said:
Anyway, you can't really plan around proposals or you would never get anything done. There are always proposals in front of the FCC, some they act on, some they don't. You have to work with what is in place today.

Well said...

For what it is worth, the "Transition Administrator" website is showing the site on Horsetooth Mountain only moving down 15 MHz from its current allocation. That will not be an issue for any of the current digital scanners.

Check the site callsign with the website:
http://www.800ta.org/content/800mhz/tools.asp

Erik,
Thanks for the heads up on the RS sale. I will be adding the 2096 to my shack at home.

The spud.

Status
Not open for further replies.