DIGITAL SCANNER SELECTIVITY: Base vs. portable??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

I own a BC785 for three years now and at the time of purchase, stuck with this base model vs. a portable per recommendations of my knowledgeable dealer.

So after last week's NY area blackout, am itching again for a digital portable scanner.

Are they now comparable with base models? Not looking for any fancy features either, just had been told the early portables were not as good as base models for many reasons.
All I scan are few digital local PD's.

Thank You.

Thayne

On the GRE (Radio Shack) digital scanners I believe the electronics and specs are identical.
Of course portables' characteristics are verymuch affected by the usual moving around and the position of the attached antenna, but in general they work very well.
I don't know much about the uniden portables.

greenmamba

Blackout

For what it is worth you may want to consider a battery UPS for your otherwise great base. In situations where loss of power may occur the base unit will continue to work for a few hours running on the UPS.

Uninteruptable power supply. Usually associated with desktop computers. Basiclly a big battery that is plugged in and you plug your device into the UPS. If the power goes out it allows you to work for awhile before having to shut things down. Or in the PC world allows you to save off any open documents and not lose everything when the power goes out

Status
Not open for further replies.