Digital scanner - southern Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

acre

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of upgrading to a digital scanner for listening to the O.P.P. and other digital broadcasts. I was thinking of the Uniden BCD-996P2 Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner. Anyone from my area have experience with this beast? I'm just east of Toronto along Lake Ontario. Many thanks.

acre

Thanks Mike! I wasn't aware there was a specific forum for Ontario, Canada. Best...

acre

Mike, can you expedite my posts and responses? I don't want to wait four days for responses. Believe it or not, I'm an actual human being...not some annoying computer virus :). Thanks.

AOD999

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of upgrading to a digital scanner for listening to the O.P.P. and other digital broadcasts. I was thinking of the Uniden BCD-996P2 Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner. Anyone from my area have experience with this beast? I'm just east of Toronto along Lake Ontario. Many thanks.

I’m more of a Whistler fan, all depending on what you want to spend the TRX-1 is pretty good and radioworld sells it.

mciupa

Database Admin
Hi folks,

I owned one until last December. Big readable display. Good sound. Now DMR upgrade-able.
Programming is easy with FreeScan.

With a rooftop antenna, I could pick up towers from Niagara Falls to Cobourg when monitoring OPP on FleetNet. Worth the money in my opinion.

I sold it because I wanted a BCD536HP.

acre

Good advice,

Thanks MC :)!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Welcome to the group!

If you are interested in a portable let me know. I have one I'm considering selling.

acre

Thank you, Forts :)!

I'm actually coming your way this weekend! I live in Port Hope. We're visiting north of London (I attended Western) - a little town called Clinton. Familiar? Near you? Let me know.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yup! Been there many times. It's a good hours drive from where I am. Not much to listen to up in that neck of the woods.

AOD999

Thank you, Forts :)!

I'm actually coming your way this weekend! I live in Port Hope. We're visiting north of London (I attended Western) - a little town called Clinton. Familiar? Near you? Let me know.
If you don’t care for NXDN The WS1080,WS1088 is also a good choice with DMR. If you can also try getting your hands on a GRECOM PSR-800 or the RadioShack Pro-18 or 688. Whistler will update it for DMR if you need it on one of those models for a modest fee. Really depends on what you’re looking for. I can’t say anything about Uniden scanners never had. But there are cheap whistler units with p25 for cheap too to be had.

acre

Wow, many thanks for the input guys. What are your thoughts on this model?:

Uniden BCD-996P2 Digital Mobile

Durham Radio sells them for $585. I can get the same unit from Amazon.ca for $400 (free shipping). I really don't need portable capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.