Digital Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hap1261

Hello,
My local Police department Amherst PD Amherst NY has now gone digital. I need recommendations on purchasing digital scanner. also do you think the frequency be available-where would i start to locate it. Very new to scanners
Thanks
HP

My local Police department Amherst PD Amherst NY has now gone digital.
WELCOME!

Here is your town in the database:

Not sure if the listing includes the new frequencies or not.

Here is a listing of scanner models:

I like the 996P2 base and 325P2 handheld units.

The top of the line - more expensive models are the SDS 1000 and SDS 200 models.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Hap1261

Hello,
My local Police department Amherst PD Amherst NY has now gone digital. I need recommendations on purchasing digital scanner. also do you think the frequency be available-where would i start to locate it. Very new to scanners
Thanks
HP
Thanks Doc
The frequencies use are the old analog. This department went digital just last week-is there a chance that the new frequencies will never be available or encrypted?
Thanks
HP

This department went digital just last week-is there a chance that the new frequencies will never be available or encrypted?
Yes there is always that chance, but I'm guessing they will show up..

Perhaps you should ask in the New York Forum to see if anyone has local knowledge.

Good luck!

k2hz

Database Admin
Amherst PD is in the RRDB in the link as posted above and it is listed as P25 not encrypted and it has been discussed on this forum.

I don't understand what the question about the frequency being "available" or encrypted is ????

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
The frequencies use are the old analog. This department went digital just last week-is there a chance that the new frequencies will never be available or encrypted?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand what the question about the frequency being "available" or encrypted is ????

I believe he's asking if they are still in the clear (and thus "available" to listen to) or if they have gone encrypted. Based on the thread I just posted the link to, they are in the clear.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
From the database, there does not appear to be any simulcast in the county. Any newer digital scanner should be able to pick up the few P25 and NXDN channels listed. One of the newer Whistler scanners would be a good choice because they can do the NXDN and DMR without any additional cost for upgrades. They are around $200 cheaper than the SDS100 and work well for P25 that does not use simulcast.

Hap1261

I believe he's asking if they are still in the clear (and thus "available" to listen to) or if they have gone encrypted. Based on the thread I just posted the link to, they are in the clear.
No, I didn’t realize that the frequency would be the same but would now only work through digital. #imnew. And maybe stupid! lol

LordDeagle

Premium Subscriber

I bought myself an SDS200 for Christmas. I lost the feed when Amherst went digital, but with a little help from the forum here I was able to program the channel and get it back. I miss the clarity of the analog broadcast, but at least we can still hear what is going on. I can't compare the SDS200 to the Whistler, I am a newbie to the hobby as well. I can say the SDS200 is expensive, but I don't regret the purchase. It's not the easiest thing to program, but once you get used to the menus it works pretty well. I have it programmed for Amherst PD, Cheektowaga PD, Buffalo PD and Buffalo Fire. I have my scanner in the kitchen with an external speaker, then use a bluetooth transmitter to send the signal to speakers in either my home office or any other room if I use a portable bluetooth speaker. You can control the scanner from a networked computer and see the feed on your PC in the office, which is what I show above. It was a little bit of work to get it all going but well worth the effort.

LordDeagle

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it is Proscan. I don't actually use the computer for the audio, the quality through a bluetooth transmitter to a speaker was better, but it's nice to see which department is talking. I keep the virtual scanner up on my second monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.