Digital Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasadenamd

I have a pro-94 scanner but i am going to buy a new scanner because of the switch over to digital in Anne Arundel County. I am in looking into buying a scanner but i havent made a decision. Which one should I buy BCD396t, Pro-97, or BC296D? I have looked at radio references information on them. Which ones have you had and your experiences with them. Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The PRO-97 is not digital, so discard that from your list. I have a 396 now, and am slowly getting used to it. It is something that you need to learn to use, as it has new technology. Some say that the PSR500 has better digital decoding, but our area is urban in nature - and the 500 does have a tendency to overload.

These are the only digitals on the market (for now - some new ones from Uniden and RS are, evidently, on the horizon). Anything in blue or underlined is a link - as are all the items listed in this wiki article...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Digital_Scanners

According to some recent threads, it looks like digital has proven not to be too popular in AA county; it will happen, but probably not yet. However there's much in the area that is digital - Baltimore city, Montgomery, the new MAA system, Howard county just to name a few - that doing the plunge now is probably a wise thing.

There's a ton of support here so don't be shy about asking questions. 73 Mike

pasadenamd

The PRO-97 is not digital, so discard that from your list. I have a 396 now, and am slowly getting used to it. It is something that you need to learn to use, as it has new technology. Some say that the PSR500 has better digital decoding, but our area is urban in nature - and the 500 does have a tendency to overload.

These are the only digitals on the market (for now - some new ones from Uniden and RS are, evidently, on the horizon). Anything in blue or underlined is a link - as are all the items listed in this wiki article...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Digital_Scanners

According to some recent threads, it looks like digital has proven not to be too popular in AA county; it will happen, but probably not yet. However there's much in the area that is digital - Baltimore city, Montgomery, the new MAA system, Howard county just to name a few - that doing the plunge now is probably a wise thing.

There's a ton of support here so don't be shy about asking questions. 73 Mike

Any clue when the switch over will be?

troymail

Silent Key
"any time now".... but that's what some of us have been expecting for several years...

I've been through (and still own) three different digital capable radios because I heard we were going digital... the second one was purchased in July 2005 (just to give some perspective on how long this has been in the works) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.