Digital Scanning on a budget for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8MLK

Hello! I bought the Pro-137 conventional scanner (and data cable) and I've been having a lot of fun listening to what little remains of an analog system in my nearby two counties. I'm considering returning the pro-137 and getting a digital scanner. However, the problem is that I'm a high school student who makes $7/hr at mcdonalds. Hehe. So keeping the cost down is my primary goal.

1) Would it be smart to buy something like a Pro-96 from ebay? Seems like I could get one for $300, which would be a lot better than the $450 for a psr-500. Is it okay to buy one used? I mean do scanners break?

2) Does the future of scanning look bright in terms of encryption? I notice that most dispatchs are unencrypted but things like car to car are encrypted. Do you think they'll just decide to encrypt everything, making my very expensive investment worthless?

Anyway thanks a lot for helping out a newbie like myself. Sounds like a very interesting hobby to get into, so I'm looking forward to possibly getting started in the digital side of things.

-Andrew

N8IAA

Hello, Andrew. My suggestion is to put your money away to get a digital scanner for Ohio. MARCS, and other systems that have gone digital, will be worth listening too. It could be that there might be a new digital coming out next year (just a rumor) and that the present digital group will be on the market at a discoutn price.
Larry

RadioDaze

Andrew, have you enabled your Private Messaging in your user Control Panel? This would be found under Settings and Options => Options. I'd like to send you a message regarding a Pro-96.

Oh, and welcome to the RR Forums!

KD8MLK

Thank you for your replies! I enabled PM for you, I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.

N8IAA, I don't really understand what your saying. A new digital will be coming out? Like something that isnt P25? And do you mean that digital scanners will be discounted soon? Sorry, lol.

N8IAA

Thank you for your replies! I enabled PM for you, I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.

N8IAA, I don't really understand what your saying. A new digital will be coming out? Like something that isnt P25? And do you mean that digital scanners will be discounted soon? Sorry, lol.
It has been rumored! But, rumors abound on the internet, don't they:) I don't see any discounts soon. And the present radios cover most everything that is out. It has been noted that your system is going to TDMA, which no scanner presently can monitor. I am sure that some time next year with all the agencies going to NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, and TDMA, that there will have to be new digital scanners on the market for those that want them.
Larry

batrastard

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.124 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Just a thought, try you're local pawn shops. Sometimes they will have them. Becareful though some places jack the price up not knowing that a scanner is obsolete. I was going to pick up a pro-96 at a shop when the shack was selling them cheap and this place wanted 350 for the one they had.

godspeed

Keep in mind used scanners. I picked up a pro 106 (sa,e as psr500) on here a few weeks back for $325 shipped. It arrived with full packaging and was like brand new!

Status
Not open for further replies.