Digital Speech Decoder 1.2 and mbelib 1.1 released

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsdauthor

The wiki page has been updated with the latest source code download links.

DSD 1.2 New features:
Decodes voice for DMR standard (including MOTOTRBO)
Full metadata (src, talkgroup, lcinfo, mfid, lcformat, mi, algid, keyid) for MoTDMA
TDMA slot identification for MoTDMA/DMR/MOTOTRBO
Identifies non-voice frame types for MoTDMA/DMR/MOTOTRBO
Frame only (no voice yet) support for 9600 baud NXDN
Auto leveling audio output gain (default) and -g option for fixed gain
GFSK modulation optimizations and improved C4FM/GFSK/QPSK auto detect

Fixed bugs:
nac was showing wrong ID
p25 metadata (lcinfo, mfid, lfcormat, mi, keyid, algid, lsd) are now
printed out in the correct bit order (MSB -> LSB), was reversed.
fixed serveral bugs in dsd_upsample.c, with improved quality

mbelib 1.1 New features:
new synthesizer functions with floating point output buffer.
original short output buffer function stubs for compatibility.
audio gain and clipping is no longer done during synthesis
except within the compatibility functions.

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for these updates.

Any chance we could get time stamp flag/switch per transmission or frame driven from the local machine's clock when logging the data to a file?

ronenp

Is there any chance to port it to Windows OS ?
What about decoding other format as well ? (say D-star) ? yes i know it is a diffrent kind of modulation and that it is a properiaty and currently only a Dongle can receive the audio ...

Thanks For any info
ronen - 4Z4ZQ
Ronen Pinchooks (4Z4ZQ) WebSite

brandon

Database Admin
Outstanding. Look forward to NXDN in the future :)

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Anyone having any success with TRBO decoding? Not working for me here... the program shows activity just I'm just hearing little bits of garble and noise. P25 decoding works, but is quite choppy. Perhaps I should try this on a beefier PC.

dsdauthor

Anyone having any success with TRBO decoding? Not working for me here... the program shows activity just I'm just hearing little bits of garble and noise. P25 decoding works, but is quite choppy. Perhaps I should try this on a beefier PC.

Try the -xr option to invert the signal. DSD is not able to detect the signal polarity because the format uses both normal and inverted sync to indicate voice or data frames.

Also if the signal is too noisy it might be switching to QPSK mode which will not work with TRBO. You can use the -mg option to lock it to GFSK mode.

I was never able to get 100% error free decode on TRBO like I was with the similar MoTDMA (with a strong single tower signal). I don't know if that is because the signal I had was not good enough or if the format is expecting the vocoder bits in a slightly different format. I was able to get intelligible speech out of it however even with some voice errors.

woodpecker

I am just testing on quite a strong DMR signal here, DSD shows:-

Demod Mode: GFSK
Frame Type : DMR
Frame Subtype: Slot Idle
The slot indicators alternate between slot0 and slot1 continuously

I am hereing nothing but does Slot Idle indicate there is no traffic in the slots, the signal appears in bursts, on avergage about a 10 second burst every 1-2 minutes, is this just some idle system?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
My system has a 10 second burst anywhere from every 10 seconds, to every minute or so. I was told before these bursts are to help keep the repeater and time slots synchronized.

The -xr option made a big difference here. I too now see the Slot Idle messages, as well as data and voice packets. However the voice is still unintelligible. Of course there is always the option that this system has Basic or Advanced Privacy turned on.

Is there any chance at some point the program will be able to identify Group Codes and such that are being used?

woodpecker

I really need to get this running on a laptop, what is the minimum spec required, would a netbook work?

gary123

I really need to get this running on a laptop, what is the minimum spec required, would a netbook work?

Im running a del 1.6 gig/512meg with Ubuntu 9.10 as the operating system. The recovered audio is a bit choppy probably due to the low power of the laptop. decoding of frame info is exellent. I have taken the laptop mobile and had good results even when driving arround.

woodpecker

Im running a del 1.6 gig/512meg with Ubuntu 9.10 as the operating system. The recovered audio is a bit choppy probably due to the low power of the laptop. decoding of frame info is exellent. I have taken the laptop mobile and had good results even when driving arround.

Thanks, what CPU does that have, is it an Atom?

offsite

Premium Subscriber
Boost Upper Limit on Soundcard Numbers, Please?

DSD Development Team,

I've just heard that DSD may be problematic if the host PC has more than seven soundcards installed.

An example might be a PC with nine USB audio adapters used for a variety of other purposes plus an internal soundcard (such as, the Diamond SX71) used for sound out from the DSD suite.

For this example, let's say Ubuntu designates the USB adapters as card 0, card 1, .... card 8, and the internal soundcard as card 9, as shown by "aplay -l".

In this configuration the internal soundcard (card 9) could be selected via the Ubuntu system/preferences/sound menu, set as the system output card, and shown to produce sound via "aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav".

But, in DSD, I've heard that the syntax "dsd -o/dev/audio9" would fail with an admonishment something like "Error, couldn't open /dev/audio9".

If enough USB audio adapters were removed, however, so that the internal soundcard were assigned a number below 7, such as card 3, then the internal soundcard would be recognized by DSD and work just fine for "dsd -o/dev/audio3.

So, would you be willing to tweak the source code to accept audio card designations higher than the present limit?

Thanks!

-rb-

gary123

Thanks, what CPU does that have, is it an Atom?

the sticker on it says Pentium M, the exact model is a Lattitude 600. Ii dont know how to check the processor info in Ubuntu.

I have run several decoding apps on this machine with no real issues (aside from loading the linux based support software needed by the specific app). DSD loaded and ran with NO additional anything. I have writen a install for dummies if anyone needs it.

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
DSD errors in frames

I'm decoding Phase I P25 fairly well (as my ears tell me) with a strong signal (no simulcast). Based on the readme file, I seem to be decoding with quite a few errors though...

Just as an example for each line I may see
e: =
e:======R======R
e:========RM=======R====

The readme says that "=" is an error, the "R" is a repeat, and the "M" is a mute. I assume this is DSD's report of it's inability to decode the raw data it is being fed.

I've also played with the gain of the input and note that approx 30% to 40% for C4FM tends to be the best level for the least error return.

I'm using the buffered discriminator on an MCS2000.

What's everyone else using and seeing on the decode error bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.