Digital System, Analog Control Channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I have a strange question that has me puzzled..I know if you monitor a statewide p25 digital radio system that they work just like analog systems but all the voice traffic has to be monitored with a digital scanner instead of any scanner, so my question is this: Why if you're monitoring a DIGITAL STATEWIDE P25 TRUNKED 700/800 MHZ system with all traffic digital and no analog traffic whatsoever, Why can I still pick up the control channels of the system on an analog scanner like normal? Do the data channels transmit in analog also? Can someone elaborate on this or explain? This has me puzzled, I thought if it was digital then nothing could be heard analog wise but apparently that's not the case, Any ideas anyone?

kikito

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean you can "pick up the control channel like normal"? Does it track the system or you just mean you can hear the "buzzing"?

Which system are you specifically talking about? My guess is that is a Motorola 3600bps control channel with digital P25 TGs, maybe?

And technically, ALL control channels are and have been digital since the beginning, the only thing that has actually evolved into digital from analog are the voice channels.

btritch

Just the buzzing noise, That's what I'm talking about..
I'm not sure the BPS, It's the Arkansas Statewide AWIN system whatever that is, But the buzzing is what I'm talking about...Why can I hear a digital system buzz on an analog radio?

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Why can I hear a digital system buzz on an analog radio?

That's normal and that's why you hear a buzzing instead of intelligible info, because it's digital!

Just like you can hear P25 voice transmissions on an analog scanner and it's some sort of buzzing too. That's what anything digital sounds like when un-decoded. Not sure how else to explain it or describe it.

btritch

That's normal and that's why you hear a buzzing instead of intelligible info, because it's digital!

Just like you can hear P25 voice transmissions on an analog scanner and it's some sort of buzzing too. That's what anything digital sounds like when un-decoded. Not sure how else to explain it or describe it.

Ok, That makes perfect since, Explained well enough, I totally understand, That's what I was wondering! Thanks!! I have a digital scanner to but my analog stopped on it in search earlier. That's why I was curious! Thanks Again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.