• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Digital systems... silly questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VK5ZEA

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to get my head around some of the digital systems used in the professional comms sector. I'm going to ask some stupid questions.

P25 is quite easy to understand, Phase 1 and 2...I've had direct exposure to P25 and inter-manufacturer operability with conventional encrypted comms.

DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) - I believe Mototrbo is a DMR "variant". Are all DMR based radios compatible with each other? Can a Mototrbo radio talk to a Hytera? Can a Hytera radio use a Mototrbo repeater?
DMR Association | World Leading Professional Digital Mobile Radio

NXDN... of which Icom and Kenwood have radios... IDAS and Nexedge respectively. Are these two "variations" of NXDN compatible with each other?
NXDN(TM)-Forum SITE

dPMR - Icom are now promoting dPMR IDAS radios with a new FR5100/FR6100 repeaters too? Are they abandoning their NXDN IDAS customer base? A NXDN IDAS radio is not compatible with a dPMR IDAS radio...
Welcome to the dPMR Association, Narrowband 6.25Khz FDMA Digital Private Mobile Radio

Why do manufacturers of digital radios seems to "modify" a protocol/system and give them their own names? Shouldn't a DMR radio be a DMR radio? Is each manufacturers implementation of the standard different enough to stop interoperability between brands?

I find it confusing that NXDN has been "rebranded" by Icom and Kenwood... I know it's a sales thing... but why not promote compatibility?

*EDIT* I found this web page from 2010. It seems that NXDN and dPMR are joining forces... I presume this will eventually obsolete existing Icom and Kenwood NXDN radios.
http://www.icom.co.jp/world/news/100215_2/

Regards,

Michael.
VK5ZEA

Last edited:

jim202

The simple answer to part of your questions is that radio companies put their own twist on the various formats to create just enough difference to make it so that the competitors radios using the same generic format have incompatibility issues. This is the way they try to limit the penetration onto their networks by other vendors. Then they try to get the using agencies to include these differences to lock out any bids from other companies for equipment to be used on the network.

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to get my head around some of the digital systems used in the professional comms sector. I'm going to ask some stupid questions.

P25 is quite easy to understand, Phase 1 and 2...I've had direct exposure to P25 and inter-manufacturer operability with conventional encrypted comms.

DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) - I believe Mototrbo is a DMR "variant". Are all DMR based radios compatible with each other? Can a Mototrbo radio talk to a Hytera? Can a Hytera radio use a Mototrbo repeater?

NXDN... of which Icom and Kenwood have radios... IDAS and Nexedge respectively. Are these two "variations" of NXDN compatible with each other?
NXDN(TM)-Forum SITE

dPMR - Icom are now promoting dPMR IDAS radios with a new FR5100/FR6100 repeaters too? Are they abandoning their NXDN IDAS customer base? A NXDN IDAS radio is not compatible with a dPMR IDAS radio...
Welcome to the dPMR Association, Narrowband 6.25Khz FDMA Digital Private Mobile Radio

Why do manufacturers of digital radios seems to "modify" a protocol/system and give them their own names? Shouldn't a DMR radio be a DMR radio? Is each manufacturers implementation of the standard different enough to stop interoperability between brands?

I find it confusing that NXDN has been "rebranded" by Icom and Kenwood... I know it's a sales thing... but why not promote compatibility?

*EDIT* I found this web page from 2010. It seems that NXDN and dPMR are joining forces... I presume this will eventually obsolete existing Icom and Kenwood NXDN radios.
NXDN™ Forum and dPMR MoU Collaboration | Icom Inc

Regards,

Michael.
VK5ZEA

JRayfield

The CAI (Common Air Interface - the 'Over the Air protocol') is DMR - Digital Mobile Radio, which is a standard. Any radio that meets the DMR Tier 2 Standard, can talk to another DMR Tier 2 Standard radio. Yes, MOTOTRBO and Hytera products can communicate with each other, as long as they aren't using encryption. The encryption used by Motorola and Hytera are not the same. Also, the Hytera repeaters can not connect to a Motorola repeater over an IP connection. The 'protocols' used for this are different between the two brands. The DMR Tier 2 Standard does not include anything pertaining to connecting repeaters together via IP.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

Hi Everybody,

NXDN(TM)-Forum SITE

NXDN™ Forum and dPMR MoU Collaboration | Icom Inc

Regards,

Michael.
VK5ZEA

Status
Not open for further replies.