Digital Traffic on LifeFlight 400mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougWare

Feed Provider
Today, I began hearing a strange digital sound and "buzzing" on LifeFlight's 400mhz frequency. This sound is different than control channel sounds I've heard before. I think I've heard this sounds before. It's one type of buzzing, followed by 4-5 seconds of modem sounds. This happens every 30-60 seconds until I temporarily lock out the channel....

Anyone ever heard this before or have any idea what it is?

Doug

randyK

If you're talking about 464.350 Mhz, I haven't heard anything from the Greensboro area. I'll keep a ear out though, Randy

DougWare

Feed Provider
LifeFlight is a Duke entity, and have their own talkgrounds on the Duke trunk. However, they also have their own frequencies and from what gather....they are using the VIPER system for their main traffic now. Is that correct?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
LifeFlight is a Duke entity, and have their own talkgrounds on the Duke trunk. However, they also have their own frequencies and from what gather....they are using the VIPER system for their main traffic now. Is that correct?

Hey Doug.

I still hear traffic on both the UHF East Frequency and on VIPER.
And I added the Lifeflight VIPER talkgroups to the database a couple
days ago.
Marshall KE4ZNR

DougWare

Feed Provider
I saw the talkgroups you added for LifeFlight, I was just adding those to my scanner. I'm also unlocking the UHF LIfeFlight freqs again to see if I hear the traffic I was hearing that sounded like some type of digital noise. I'm hoping it was a birdie that I was hitting that day. If I hear it again, I plan to record it so you guys can hear it too,

I really appreciate you adding the VIPER talkgroups...you're always the man with the plan! I think I owe you dinner at the next meeting for all the help you've given me.

On a side note, I'm enjoying my subscription to Radio Reference. The way you can watch updates to systems from the homepage really makes it easy to keep up with changes when you monitor such a wide geographic area as I do.

Thanks again
Doug

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I saw the talkgroups you added for LifeFlight, I was just adding those to my scanner. I'm also unlocking the UHF LIfeFlight freqs again to see if I hear the traffic I was hearing that sounded like some type of digital noise. I'm hoping it was a birdie that I was hitting that day. If I hear it again, I plan to record it so you guys can hear it too,

I really appreciate you adding the VIPER talkgroups...you're always the man with the plan! I think I owe you dinner at the next meeting for all the help you've given me.

On a side note, I'm enjoying my subscription to Radio Reference. The way you can watch updates to systems from the homepage really makes it easy to keep up with changes when you monitor such a wide geographic area as I do.

Thanks again
Doug

Doug,
Thanks for the kind words. It's all a team effort and RR.com would not be the place it is without everyone's input.
Besides I might return the favor and get some linux tips from ya at the next meeting. :)
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

DougWare

Feed Provider
I'm really starting to think I was hitting "birdies" over and over that day. I haven't heard it at all today.

Doug

DougWare

Feed Provider
I caught the digital sounds again...

This time I made a recording of one of them, as well as a ~20 sec recording of how they cycle.

I swear, I'm not crazy. ;-)

I've had to lock LifeFlight's 400mhz freqs out again.

Just as a side note, I usually run my squelch pretty high (often at MAX)...so I'm not picking something weird up.

Attachments

• LifeFlight Sounds.zip
    52.5 KB · Views: 61

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
And for those who download the above make sure you turn your speaker volume down! I am almost half tempted to say that sounds like some type of alpha pager tones? Further investigation is gonna be needed :cool:

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
W2SJW - Radio Sounds

I am a little busy this evening or else I would help you look through the above but try to search the above site and see if you come across anything like your data bursts Doug.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.