Digital transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsmith456z

Premium Subscriber
I live in Atlanta and frequently receive APD digital transmissions. My question is, why are some transmissions garbled? It sounds like a warped record. I’m new to scanning and I’m wondering if this is something I can control by changing a setting on my PSR-800 or is it the way the signal is broadcast.

thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you're talking about this system..

Atlanta Public Safety P25 System Trunking System, Atlanta, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

Without knowing specific talkgroups (often abbreviated 'tg'), there are 2 possibilities - the tg is encrypted (and the database does show a few with 'E' as the mode - no scanner will hear these) or you have insufficient signal to decode properly. Digital is very sensitive to low signal issues

best regards..Mike

lsmith456z

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike,

I'm not sure of the trunk group ID, but i can tell you that normally its only 1 side of the conversation that's garbled. That being said I dont think its an encryption issue (could be wrong). Maybe it's a signal issue

thanks for your feedback

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike,

I'm not sure of the trunk group ID, but i can tell you that normally its only 1 side of the conversation that's garbled. That being said I dont think its an encryption issue (could be wrong). Maybe it's a signal issue

thanks for your feedback

If only one side is garbled, then it IS most likely encryption. The trunked talk group is not encrypted, each individual radio determines encryption, so one may be secure and one not.

- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.