Digital Trunking range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stannard2

I run a local Facebook page dedicated to what I hear coming off of the scanner. I have a lot of people ask me about what scanner that they should get. What is the range of the digital trunking scanners? I live in the city so I have no issues buy didn't know the range of the digital trunking. Thank you.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Range of a system depends on it's design, topography around the radio system, and topography around the listener. There is no one answer.

Radio systems are usually designed and licensed to cover a specific area. That's often showed as Kilometers around a center point/transmitter site. Agencies that build out these systems are trying to provide the best coverage they can within the agencies jurisdiction. Coverage costs money, so there's no need to try to expand coverage far beyond that.

For the listener, it'll depend entirely on their location, their antenna, antenna height and a few thousand other variables.

What is the range of the digital trunking scanners?

That depends upon a number of factors such as Transmitter location, elevation, surrounding obstacles and receiver.

Generally speaking, for higher frequencies, less than 50 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.