• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

digital trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Hi there i am buying in to a cab company in philadelphia they currently use vhf ltr system however i am wanting to explore digital trunking options such as nxdn icom idas and even mototrbo i am not looking for a which one is better convo please. I am just lookin for input on system owners on what options i should be looking for option wise i want 2 channels maybe 3 one of which will be dedicated to a mdt style dispatch system. I am also looking for any dealers who can give me a ballpark price for mobiles as well as portables and base stations.

Thank you for your help in advance.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Check with the larger local radio companies. Some of them might have leased access on their systems available.

Advantages are not having to get licenses, and not buying the infrastructure. You might have access to more geographic coverage, and more talkgroups or time slots.

Sent via Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I replaced my old analog 800MHz trunked system a few years ago, and had to do the comparison between analog LTR, MotoTrbo and NXDN.
I found MotoTrbo and NXDN to be very similar in performance and capabilities. In the end I chose the Kenwood NexEdge NXDN platform for a number of reasons.

Either one will work well and do what you want to do. I wouldn't recommend investing in a lot of analog gear at this point in time, unless you get a really good deal on the service. Most vendors would end up selling you digital capable gear anyway.

In the end, it will depend on what the service provider you choose is running. Obviously you need to match their system. If you have a choice of both, look at ALL the costs, not just the upfront ones. Things like accessories and replacement parts (yes, you will need them) can nickel and dime you to death. Also, make sure you have a good shop in the area to support whoever you choose. That was one of the biggest driving factors for me.

JRayfield

With MOTOTRBO systems, you're going to have a lot more 3rd party software packages to choose from, as compared to what's available for IDAS or NexEdge Systems. That may be important, if you want to take advantage of GPS/AVL or other data capabilities of the new digital systems.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

Status
Not open for further replies.