Digital TV Converter Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2ops

Got my digital TV converter box coupon in the mail Friday. Went right to Wal Mart and got it.

At my office the inside antenna brings six analog stations in with just a liitle bit of snow.

With the same antenna I could get only one digital station.

At times it reverted momentarily to jumbled squares.

Very disappointed. Will have to get a good outside antenna to receive the same stations I can get now with the inside antenna.

Will be interested in reports of results at other locations.

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
That's one problem with digital. Many people who did get snow now get nothing at all.

bpckty1

Welcome to the world of Digtal. All or nothing.

Ah, the good ole days of analog, we remember ye well.

Analog TV has been around since prior to WW-II, so it's time to move on; from a technical point. Conversion to DTV will free up analog channels 2-6 and channels 52-69. The latter will auctioned as blocks A-E more commonly known at the 700 MHz band.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Digital TV in the USA

n2ops said:
At my office the inside antenna brings six analog stations in with just a liitle bit of snow.
I assume you mean with no converter installed.

With the same antenna I could get only one digital station.
Keep in mind that the frequencies CURRENTLY being used for digital broadcasts may not even be in the same band as for their digital equivalents. In other words, channel 2 is clearly a VHF low channel and requires a fairly long antenna. But channel 2.1 could be anywhere, and in most markets is currently being broadcast on a UHF frequency. UHF is best received with a "loop" antenna. Don't go thinking that a single antenna, or a multiband antenna pointed in a single direction, is going to receive digital and analog signals. You may need to use a different antenna or point it in a different direction to receive the equivalent digital broadcast.

At times it reverted momentarily to jumbled squares.
That's the digital equivalent of snow in analog pictures.

Very disappointed. Will have to get a good outside antenna to receive the same stations I can get now with the inside antenna.
Not necessarily. You need to do some homework. It depends on where you are and where you are picking up stations from. There are a few markets where the digital signals are not yet at full power or coverage (such as Denver). Also, if you go out and get yourself a "UHF only" antenna and get things working good now, be aware that on 2/18/09 some stations will be moving their digital broadcast (from UHF to VHF for example).

Will be interested in reports of results at other locations.
Check out AVSFORUM.com there are tons of reports and discussions. But be aware that a lot of people are very misinformed on this topic.

n2ops

Stations

All the stations I tried are transmitting from the same tower as their analog counterparts on the same hill.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
n2ops said:
All the stations I tried are transmitting from the same tower as their analog counterparts on the same hill.
But are transmitting on different frequencies and most likely require a different antenna.

Pete43

I live about 65 miles south of Spokane Wa. Last year the analog tv broke in my travel trailor so I got a new tv that picks up analog and digital. The analog spokane stations are very snowy,but the digital stations are perfect. I use the same antenna that came on the rv.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pete43 said:
I live about 65 miles south of Spokane Wa. Last year the analog tv broke in my travel trailor so I got a new tv that picks up analog and digital. The analog spokane stations are very snowy,but the digital stations are perfect. I use the same antenna that came on the rv.
At 65 miles, I'd expect analog stations to be snowy - especially from an RV antenna. This is an example of digital making a good difference. You are going to lose 2 stations in the low VHF band (notorious for electrical noise) and all the stations will remain in the high VHF band or lower half of the UHF band. Below are the PHYSICAL channels being used.

CALL NTSC NOW LATER
KREM 2 20.1 20
KXLY 4 13.1 13
KHQ 6 15.1 7
KSPS 7 8.1 8
KSKN 22 36.1 36
KAYU 28 30.1 28
KGPX 34 ? 34

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What have I been doing the last 8 years... talking to the wind???!!! When are you EVER going to realize that analog vs digital isn't the issue here, it's 8VSB vs COFDM!!! Europe is doing just fine with COFDM while big money screwed America with 8VSB via the FCC bribe!

Oh, I'm SO sorry, bribe intimates political corruption so I should have said lobby which makes bribery all nice and legal. And they all gathered around the consumer/taxpayer cash cow and asked... got milk?

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
mikepdx said:
The FCC is the generous custodian of the corporate media's profit margins.
I guess citizens need to start up a corporation.

We could "lease" back the airwaves to the FCC:D

Gotta always be thinkin outside the sandbox :wink: Its my job.:cool:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
ATSC is 8VSB not COFDM

kb2vxa said:
What have I been doing the last 8 years... talking to the wind???!!! When are you EVER going to realize that analog vs digital isn't the issue here, it's 8VSB vs COFDM!!! Europe is doing just fine with COFDM ...
I tend to agree that COFDM would be better than 8VSB; but we're not comparing apples to apples here. No one was thinking of "mobile TVs" back when they specified 8VSB, and our country is very spread out with transmitters, unlike many other places.

I remember when Sinclair first brought this issue up, and I do feel it was too late in the process. We'd already approved a horrible analog wide screen broadcast format (you think 8VSB is bad, take a good look at that monster) and ATSC is a HUGE improvement over that joke. There have been vast improvements made to 8VSB reception since the first generation receivers were tested against COFDM. A switch to COFDM at that time would have delayed the transition and cost everyone lots of money.

A better comparison is NTSC vs PAL. Us engineers call NTSC "Never Twice The Same Color", which is so true. PAL encoding doesn't provide for the same mutations of color information (like NTSC does).

Now that ATSC is "the law of the land" it does no good to bring up the argument regarding COFDM. Good engineers will now assist those who seek information and use our knowledge and skills to make ATSC the best that it can be. There are a lot of things that can still be done.

My complaints about the digital transition have to do with the random way channels were assigned. We've got broadcasters with 2 in core channels (one each for NTSC and current ATSC), some with 2 out of core channels, and others with a low band and out of core channel. Better channel assignments would have made things a lot easier for broadcasters (and tower workers).

tj20

The best thing about digital is watching HD for free over the air. I know that digital and HD are two different things, but most local major network stations are both digital and HD. Also I pick them up fine with the same rabbit ears I used for analog.

Status
Not open for further replies.