Digital voice on WCCCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was listening to the WCCCA (Washington County) trunked system and heard some users comment that they got new radios, after which they switched over to trying to use the new radios. The "new radios" were obviously running some form of digital voice (P25?) and for their trial attempt, the digital voice talkgroup was cross-patched back to their original analog talkgroup allowing me to monitor them. The speech quality was pretty distorted--worse than what I have heard on DMR and WSP P25.

Does anyone know if this digital voice system they were using was a secondary talkgroup on the WCCCA system running P25 (assuming that), or is it a completely separate new system, like on 700 MHz.

I need to fire up some form of Trunker on the WCCCA system to see if anything new pops.

Apparently the digital radios were difficult to understand, and the users were pretty frustrated to a point that they switched back to the analog talkgroup.

radiotweester

I didn't hear that instance, but I've been hearing a WCSO talkgroup with at least 1 radio that's analog, but sounds digitized. I was thinking the radio was a loaner from 3 letter federal agency?
It sounds pretty crappy, but as of this morning I'm still hearing the transmissions randomly.

I know there is the 800 P25 system on CC 854.2625, but it's in Clackamas Co and all I've only seen/heard random tests. Not sure of the 700 system.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I just moved to Sherwood and I immediately noticed that all of the dispatchers on all of the Portland area 800 systems sound digital but its actually analog. WCCCA, C-COM, LOCOM, BOEC, Newberg etc. I moved from Albany where they are using P25 and the dispatchers here on analog sound very close to what Albany's dispatchers on P25 sound like. The mobiles and portables sound like normal analog though.

I just moved to Sherwood and I immediately noticed that all of the dispatchers on all of the Portland area 800 systems sound digital but its actually analog. WCCCA, C-COM, LOCOM, BOEC, Newberg etc. I moved from Albany where they are using P25 and the dispatchers here on analog sound very close to what Albany's dispatchers on P25 sound like. The mobiles and portables sound like normal analog though.

That's correct. The dispatchers got VOIP links from their dispatch consoles some time ago while the field units stayed on analog radios.

What I heard the other day were field units using digital radios, which were cross-patched back to the corresponding analog talkgroup. My BCD396XT showed the analog talkgroup information instead of the DAC info I usually see when I monitor WSP's P25 traffic.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I know there is the 800 P25 system on CC 854.2625

Its on Goat Mtn and its licensed to WCCCA.

ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked License - WQPQ345 - WASHINGTON COUNTY CONSOLIDATED COMMUNICATIONS AGENCY

Emission codes for P25 Phase I and II.

I was able to just barely get the control channel in Sherwood.
Its showing as System: 4D0, WACN: BEE00, RFSS 1, Site 8.

Looking at the WC/CC/Newberg analog system there are 7 sites...interesting that this one starts off at site 8. Also, some of the freqs for the P25 site are the same as the freqs for the Goat Mtn analog site.

I'll submit it to the DB.

Its on Goat Mtn and its licensed to WCCCA.

ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked License - WQPQ345 - WASHINGTON COUNTY CONSOLIDATED COMMUNICATIONS AGENCY

Emission codes for P25 Phase I and II.

I was able to just barely get the control channel in Sherwood.
Its showing as System: 4D0, WACN: BEE00, RFSS 1, Site 8.

Looking at the WC/CC/Newberg analog system there are 7 sites...interesting that this one starts off at site 8. Also, some of the freqs for the P25 site are the same as the freqs for the Goat Mtn analog site.

I'll submit it to the DB.

Thank you for the reference to the ULS entry! I took a look when I originally posted this, but I probably didn't pay attention to the emission type. What emission type code is P25 Phase I/II?

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Emission Designator - The RadioReference Wiki

8K10F1D - P25 Phase I Data
8K10F1E - P25 Phase I Voice
8K70D1W - P25 Linear Simulcast Modulation
9K80D7W - P25 Phase II fixed-end 2-slot TDMA

Also, I noticed I have to hold my radio in just the right spot to get the control channel, the same spot for the site I posted in the State Radio Project forum...maybe that site is on Goat Mtn too?

radiotweester

Watching the Clackamas Co traffic, radio ID 65520 appears as MANY units on CCSO 1.
I'm not able to receive the P25 CC any longer, but my speculation would be that this ID is a radio patch from digital to analog.
Can anyone confirm this?

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
Watching the Clackamas Co traffic, radio ID 65520 appears as MANY units on CCSO 1.
I'm not able to receive the P25 CC any longer, but my speculation would be that this ID is a radio patch from digital to analog.
Can anyone confirm this?

65520 is the system's smartpatch. The most common use is on CCOM Law Net 1 or Net 2 from VHF conventional to 800Mhz (both analog).

Status
Not open for further replies.