Digital vs Analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

epiroska

If I am considering the purchase of a new scanner, should I only be looking at digitals? I am interested ont only in my local police and fire, but also state highway patrol nd other state agencies.

captclint

Mentor
If I am considering the purchase of a new scanner, should I only be looking at digitals? I am interested ont only in my local police and fire, but also state highway patrol nd other state agencies.
Welcome to RR. It looks like Ohio MARCS is the only digital in your area. If you don't mind paying another $200-250 for just that, then Yes. Otherwise, you can get the locals in Richland County, with an analog scanner. Some would advise going digital anyway, as that is the general direction agencies are going. However, I don not subscribe to that idea. By the time another agency goes digital(usually takes 2-4 years from the approval date), digital scanners will be greatly improved over today's scanners....but not any more expensive. If you want to listen to the Highway Patrol(MARCS), you will need a good digital now. Go to the Ohio forum and ask which scanners do best on this system, and if they know of any current plans for others to go digital.

Last edited:

N8IAA

You'll want either an analog scanner to listen to the county that does the current narrowband VHF frequencies. Best if you want to listen to MARCS is a digital scanner. It will also do the narrowband frequencies for Richland county.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.