digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
im a wrecker company owner in harris co. and im hearing different stories about harris co going to digital some of the sheriffs unit have radios that can talk to everyone. but my main concern is if they are i need to get prepared for high cost to make the transition in my trucks.(i hear they are very expensive)i will need 12 of them to try to stay in business.please if any knows for sure, let me know couse the rumors are getting me no were. much appreciated. brad in spring.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
are you on rotation with them or their sole wrecker service and are you talking scanners or two way radios
the wrecker company i was with a few years ago had all of your radios supplied by the pd
a base for the office and a portable for each driver, 8 in all

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
You would be shooting yourself in the foot buying a digital two way radio to monitor the new system that is being built out. A new, all everything, top of the line digital scanner will monitor this system just fine for 5-6 hundred each. A radio might cost over 3000, and you still can't hear anything that is encrypted. This new system will, and is already, using encryption on some communications. As far as audio quality, I have been a user of a P25 digital radio in the past. The difference in quality between a "real" two way digital radio and the newer scanners is not that much. Just buy scanners. PSR600 is a top of the line base/installed mobile scanner. PSR500 is it's little handheld brother. Both will allow you to monitor the new system when it is used.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I should add, just to keep the rumor mill in order, that the encryption will not be for any DISPATCH communications. Only for things like Narcotics, Investigations and other covert/private converations. Sorry if I upset anybody about encryption :D

rotation

no we are what you call buzzards, we monitor several different radios ems county and constable. we try to get there before the police do and then we do what is called chip. a chip consists of a brass chip with our county wrecker #.we put them in a hat and the one that gets pulled tows the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.