Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddogg4541

Sorry for asking such a easy question(for some). A few years back my local pd switched to digital encoded chatter. I'm fairly sure my older scanner wil not pick this up(think the max mhz is 888.888) But i really love to hear whats going on, i have search abit with no luck ive heard many things like you need a code to decode the signal. I work night doing security and these are very long night and kinda wanting to get back into scanning. i have been looking at some like the BCD996XT the $461 is the problem. I dont need or want anything with all the bells on it i would just like something to hear the local PD. And i have spoke with a few cops with they have said it's not possible to listen in. I think thats BS But any help from you's pros would be nice. id just like a good cheap system that actually works

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
With all the misinformation passing their lips it's safe to say the cops don't know squat about digital, all they know is the hogwash the salesman told them. Trouble with digital capable scanners is they tend to come with a lot of bells and whistles and being top end just a bit expensive, er, pricey. Don't be like the cops and confuse digital with encryption, a lot around here is digital and I hear it just fine.

Eh, the "pros" around here are few and far between but you'll generally get good advice and there's always a fly in the ointment. Opinions are subjective, merely a point of view and may not steer you in the direction you want to go. Bottom line; sort through them until you come close, then make your OWN decision based on your specific needs. Do your sales homework, shop around and you may come up with something completely different, you never know. Remember, the decision is yours and yours alone.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Well, let's have the name of the town you're in. We can't help you & give you a definitive answer if we don't know where you're from...

EDIT - digital & cheap do not exist in the same sentence...

kma371

QRT
A few years back my local pd switched to digital encoded chatter. I'm fairly sure my older scanner wil not pick this up(think the max mhz is 888.888

You/they may be confused that "digital" is over a certain frequency. Digital modes can be almost any frequency.

vinzep491

To sum it all up, we need the name of the model scannerbyou already own. Then we need your location and a list of agencies you wish to monitor.....

Then we can advise from there

maddogg4541

Hall county GA...but we travel many times a year to see the family in TX..Where is the old days where i could pick anything up that i wanted? The advances in the scanners might be nice, but really hurts the hard working law abiding people that just want to be informed!

W2SJW

Database Admin
The locals are correct. The Hall County Sheriff operations & Gainesville PD are both encrypted, so you won't be able to listen to any of their communications (regardless of having a digital scanner or not).

Sorry to have to break the bad news to you... :(

N8IAA

Hall county GA...but we travel many times a year to see the family in TX..Where is the old days where i could pick anything up that i wanted? The advances in the scanners might be nice, but really hurts the hard working law abiding people that just want to be informed!

Hall was not encrypted when setting up the county system. Fire, jail ops, and jail work crews are all that is in the clear. No SO, no PD (Flowery Branch, Oakwood and Gainesville). Just like in Gwinnett. Thank goodness I can monitor Forsyth, DeKalb and others.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.