Digitized / Encripted

Status
Not open for further replies.

1hdrdr

Premium Subscriber
I have herd a few times now the term ( digitized ) when listening to countys Dakota,Henn, and Rams. They will say something like ( I didnt hear you . You were digitized. ) or ( were you digitized? ) Are they talking about being encripted?

JASII

Memory Capacity
Digitized / Encrypted

No, it simply means that the receiver they were listening to was unable to property receive the signal well enough for the listener to understand it.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
I've heard people say it after a transmission gets that quirky "turkey" effect that sometimes happens with digital. I'm no expert, but it sounds like the computer controlling the system screws up for a second and the audio sounds garbled.

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
exactly... just like an analog system encounters static, occasionally, a finely tuned motorola P25 system (was that cheesy?) burps... id say when i am at work, 99.8% of my transmissions occur without one bit of garbled audio...

with the volume of both traffic and radios on ARMER, it is amazing there are not more...

duchee

i know minneapolis PD gets like that sometimes. esp if im streaming it. since i live so far away lol

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
From what I understand the term "You sound digital" or "You're going digital" means that a portable or mobile is on the fringe of the coverage area when it it trying to talk into a repeater and only portions of the transmission are heard by the repeater.

It isn't anything wrong with your scanner, rather it is the radio talking in to the system is just about out of range. Whoever is being called is telling the caller that his signal is breaking up.

Last edited:

W2NJS

When a digital signal suddenly sounds nasal and funny it's due to what it correctly termed "packet loss."
It happens in your receiver and can be caused by several things, one of them being that the received signal is not "complete" in the digital sense and therefore its intelligence literally falls apart.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
When a digital signal suddenly sounds nasal and funny it's due to what it correctly termed "packet loss."
It happens in your receiver and can be caused by several things, one of them being that the received signal is not "complete" in the digital sense and therefore its intelligence literally falls apart.

However if the dispatch is also reporting that someone "went digital" it is not likely the scanner that is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.