• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

digtal repeater using only 1 narrowband frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioguy32

We only have 1 narrowband frequency and need to move to a repeated signal. Unfortunately frequencies in our area are very hard to impossible to come by. The last 2 petitions filed by our neighbors were denied. Is it possible to move to a digital repeater using the 1 frequency we have? What I mean is wideband is 25Hz, narrow band is 12.5Hz and digital is 6.25Hz so the 1 narrowband frequency we have should be able to support 2 digital frequencies right?

Thanks,

trlrdrdave

Nope doesn't work that way. You still need 2 frequencies that are 6.25 khz each. There "are" simplex repeaters, but they are worthless in my opinion. Have you tried to get frequncies? Talked to a coordinator?

n5ims

So you need a second frequency for your repeater and your neighboring agency also needs an additional frequency for their repeater and neither one can do so since there are no available frequencies. Setting up a repeater with the input on an adjacent channel to the output frequency will be very difficult and expensive to accomplish, if it can be done at all. You'll need extremely sharp filters to keep the transmit signal out of the receiver and vice versa and these will cost giga-bucks.

How about a novel idea, since repeaters need both an input frequency and an output frequency, why not use your frequency for an one and your neighbor's frequency for the other and you should have both an input frequency and an output frequency. With technology like MotoTRBO, two channels can be supported (not using the 6.25 kHz width, but time-slicing the 12.5 kHz width for an 'effective bandwidth of 6.25 kHz'). Your agency will get one timeslice and the other agency will get the other (both can be used at the 'same time' so it'll look like two seperate channels) and both should be happy.

radioguy32

Thank you both for the information. I figured I would still need a second frequency. I have a radio company coming by on Thursday afternoon to review the options we have. They already examined the equipment and ran a few tests. I should get the results tomorrow at the meeting.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.