Dipole and a HOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born_Annoyed

West Central Florida 12 miles from the Gulf of Mex
Hi all, My first post.

Community I live in will not allow antennas. So I want to set up a portable 10 Meter Diepole between my neighbors house and mine on 2 tripods. It will be about 10' to 15' off of the ground. Question is the vertical poles can they be Metal? or do they have to be PVC, Fiberglass, ect?. Of course there will be insulators on the ends as well as the center.

Marc...

Taking my test next saturday.

AlaskaMike

Steel masts are most common of course, but realistically you probably want to use something that the HOA won't notice. Wouldn't a tripod on top of your house stand out too much?

K9WG

Steel masts are most common of course, but realistically you probably want to use something that the HOA won't notice. Wouldn't a tripod on top of your house stand out too much?

Hi all, My first post.

Community I live in will not allow antennas. So I want to set up a portable 10 Meter Diepole between my neighbors house and mine on 2 tripods. It will be about 10' to 15' off of the ground. ...snip....

That would be a very short house.... :twisted:

Born_Annoyed

Nope I can't put one on the roof. What i was thinking was 2 risers attached to the ends of a vollyball net.
be it Sch40 or Fiberglass rods about 20' to 30' in the air plastic pullys on the tops to raise and lower the Dipole as needed My attic is out of the question, way to much metal. backyard is out also big screen enclosure. This one has to go between 2 houses that are about 25' apart from each other.

Marc...
Waiting for my name to appear in the FCC database.

Born_Annoyed

wipe soda from nose. lol

I knew when I was typing the original message that some people would think "Between 2 roof's" I need to be more clear. This contraption is going on the ground on 2 tripods.

Now If could run it roof to roof that would be great. But my neighbor is quite the funny little man. so that is not gonna happen.

AlaskaMike

Oops, I guess I wasn't reading very closely! Sorry about that.

The volleyball net is interesting, but you'd end up with a dipole of 25' total length, which isn't long enough except for maybe 6m.

Unless I'm misreading again... :(

LtDoc

Will it work? Yes, but isn't going to work real well. Do those supports have to be something other than metal? No. It isn't going to be state of the art, but then, it'll certainly be useable.
- 'Doc

W2NJS

I believe that the correct theoretical length of a half-wave dipole on 28.6 mHz is 16.36 feet. At 29.7 mHz it would be 15.75 feet.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Does your HOA allow flagpoles? Get one of those aluminum 3 section ones. Bury the bottom section in the ground using concrete... insulate the top 2 sections from the bottom and feed with buried coax. Use a tuner...

mastr

If you have a gable style roof, consider an antenna camouflaged as a (functional if desired) full length ridge vent.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all, My first post.

Community I live in will not allow antennas. So I want to set up a portable 10 Meter Diepole between my neighbors house and mine on 2 tripods. It will be about 10' to 15' off of the ground. Question is the vertical poles can they be Metal? or do they have to be PVC, Fiberglass, ect?. Of course there will be insulators on the ends as well as the center.

Marc...

Taking my test next saturday.

Stealth dipoles shouldn't be a problem if you use a endfed design with very light wire, maybe 31 awg or close. There's nothing more satisfying than a high performance antenna array while thwarting you HOA Nazi's !! ;)

n9zas

LtDoc

If your place is on the right in that picture, you've got a potential antenna on the roof's edge, the rain gutter. You'd have to bury some wire as a ground system for any end fed antenna so why not use the gutter and down spout with a ground system? Probably would require a tuner of some type.
- 'Doc

kc5uta

gutters

If your place is on the right in that picture, you've got a potential antenna on the roof's edge, the rain gutter. You'd have to bury some wire as a ground system for any end fed antenna so why not use the gutter and down spout with a ground system? Probably would require a tuner of some type.
- 'Doc

Beat me to it...my first thought was...I see GUTTERS!!!. Bury a good "stealth " ground plane in the grass. And maybe tap the down spout, or run some coax up the spout and tap up at the loop. Experiment for best results. You may even wind up multi-band capable with a tuner. I shunt fed my 65ft tower for 80 and 160, by using a good ground plane, an air variable capacitor and tapping the tower at two different spots for the feeds. you may be able to adapt to suit your situation. Good luck fighting those HOA creeps...Dave KC5UTA

kb2vxa

Banned
If you have 16' in the attic to play with why fiddle around with a grass burner? Never mind the HOA Nazis, why tell everybody you're a ham and have every little crappy consumer electronics glitch blamed on you? Who me? I don't know what you're talking about.

Born_Annoyed

I'm going to skirt the rules a little bit. Acording to my HOA rules and I quote "No antenna's are to be mounted on the roof of your home." Well the plan was to never mount the antenna's on the roof in the first palce. I'm going to set up the poles for the dipole after my trip to SC and see what happens.

I'll let everyone know what happens along the way. I want to thank everyone for the input. Some good ideas have come out of this thread for me and I hope others.

Marc W.., Still waiting for my name to appear in the FCC database....

gewecke

Banned
Cool, it sounds like your HOA wasn't real well informed when they established the rules for your priso...er, community. :(
With luck you will find some more loopholes in their rules and regs that will get you on the air.

n9zas

K9WG

I'm going to skirt the rules a little bit. Acording to my HOA rules and I quote "No antenna's are to be mounted on the roof of your home." Well the plan was to never mount the antenna's on the roof in the first palce. I'm going to set up the poles for the dipole after my trip to SC and see what happens. ...snip...
My HOA says I can't have an antenna (dish) greater then 1-meter in diameter. My dipole wire is only .075 inch diameter (looking at the end) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.