Dipole and a HOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm going to skirt the rules a little bit. Acording to my HOA rules and I quote "No antenna's are to be mounted on the roof of your home." Well the plan was to never mount the antenna's on the roof in the first palce. I'm going to set up the poles for the dipole after my trip to SC and see what happens. ...snip...
My HOA says I can't have an antenna (dish) greater then 1-meter in diameter. My dipole wire is only .075 inch diameter (looking at the end) :D

I'd say that's a BIG loophole in the rules! :lol:

n9zas

Born_Annoyed

West Central Florida 12 miles from the Gulf of Mex
I suffer from the same HOA problem. I just ordered a Rohn telescopic antenna mast. The plan is raise it whe in use and colapse it whenever i am done...they sell a base for the mast that is anchored by concrete blocks... This is their link: ROHN 9H50 34 Foot Telescopic TV Antenna Push Up Mast Ships UPS

Look for the " non penetrating base" ......

73's

k4PST

That is a good idea! I am ordering the buddi pole www.buddipole.com
I'll see how it works out. What I did was make a contraption to mimick the buddipole to see if the neighbors said anything. All quiet so far. But i know my luck I'll set it up and "wham" they will rat me out to the HOA natzies.

K4PST

rohn telescopic mast

I raise mine in the afternoon whenever I come home from work. I'll use it for few hours then retract it. If you get the base they sell for it you wont have to put guide wires because you will be retracting it after you are done. It's kind of a pain, but it's the price of living in a Nazi HOA area...LOL

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Hi all, My first post.

Community I live in will not allow antennas. So I want to set up a portable 10 Meter Diepole between my neighbors house and mine on 2 tripods. It will be about 10' to 15' off of the ground. Question is the vertical poles can they be Metal? or do they have to be PVC, Fiberglass, ect?. Of course there will be insulators on the ends as well as the center.

Marc...

Taking my test next saturday.

According to the FCC rules you and your neighbor can put up a mast up to 12' in height for a TV antenna with no permitting or permissions from HOA required. Your HOA is only telling you 1/2 the story....time to use your imagination. ;)

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | FCC.gov

Q: What types of antennas are covered by the rule?

A: The rule applies to the following types of antennas:

(1) A "dish" antenna that is one meter (39.37") or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska) and is designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.

(2) An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter or diagonal measurement and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless cable) or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements.
In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g. maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Is that your back yard? Is that area visable to the HOA Nazi's? I notice there are large palm trees in the front. You could lash an S9 vertical to that. The flag pole idea is a good one. My buddy used his for years.. If that is your back yard, put a portable vertical up at night. Take it down before everyone is awake.

SCPD

QRT
Maybe

According to the FCC rules you and your neighbor can put up a mast up to 12' in height for a TV antenna with no permitting or permissions from HOA required. Your HOA is only telling you 1/2 the story....time to use your imagination...

This is interesting. I sometimes wonder, even though the FCC says you can do it, if you specifically agree on a signed document not to, is the document binding? Just about every HOA has something in writing against anything, including poles in the yard, that anyone may find unsightly.

Most HOA's have something about not parking in the street on trash or snow days. If the city or township does not have an ordinance against it, can you park in the street anyway?

I'm not sure about the answer to the first question, but I'm pretty sure I know how it would go on the second.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
This is interesting. I sometimes wonder, even though the FCC says you can do it, if you specifically agree on a signed document not to, is the document binding? Just about every HOA has something in writing against anything, including poles in the yard, that anyone may find unsightly.

Most HOA's have something about not parking in the street on trash or snow days. If the city or township does not have an ordinance against it, can you park in the street anyway?

I'm not sure about the answer to the first question, but I'm pretty sure I know how it would go on the second.

The FCC has over-ruled on any HOA or municipal rule, even if it was signed by the homeowner, to allow them to install a dish or a pole and TV antenna on the property that they are in control of. There are no if's, and's, or but's about it....the website is very clear.

LtDoc

Like being in court? Know any good... cheap lawyers? Got some time to spend? Will any of the other HOA 'members' be on the jury? Can you make a profit if you sell your house??
Answer in any order...
- 'Doc

Threads like these make me happy I live in a neighborhood that doesn't have an HOA. I can park wherever I want to, put as many antennas up as I want to, and paint my house whatever color I want. That's how it should be in my opinion.

No real way to fight them. Just make sure there's not an HOA before you buy the house. That's the moral of this story.

WX9EMS

Back when I got my General ticket, I was itching so bad to get on HF that I tried several different approaches.

I first tried to load up the gutters...turned out the whole house was sided in aluminum...landlady called me and said something was wrong and I should come and look at it. She said she thought the house was "possessed". I worked hard to not show my smile.

I then was laying on the couch one day staring at the ceiling...which was a drop ceiling...the it hit me, so I loaded it up and worked real good for digital, not so hot for phone...but 10 meters tore up my whole apartment...didn't play there until I got the G5RV up about a year later.

Sometimes it seems the most unconventional ideas sometimes work the best.

fineshot1

Try one of these dipoles - run it vertical as it requires no ground. Assemble it
on the tripod and up at about 10 or 12 feet with a mast. Its a temporary setup
and is not a permanent installation so that will bypass the hoa rules. You can
set it up and work dx and disassemble it afterwards and no one with the hoa
can stab you in the back with breaking any rules.

TAK-tenna

Just read the directions carefully on how to tune it as getting it
to resonate is a little tricky. Using an antenna analyzer like the
AEA or MFJ units makes it easier.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
This is the area I have to work with. I know I am very limited. 10 Meters is only about 16' long 2M and 70cm I can run off of a portable discone.

I'm in pretty much the same situation, the Neighborhood Nazis won't allow anything other than a mini satellite dish (despite the total pre-emption by the FCC of CCRs against broadcast antennas of any kind).

You would be surprised at how many contacts you can make with a simple antenna. I have a full-wave horizontal loop for 40m strung around the inside perimeter of my attic and I can do pretty darn well, all things considered. Last spring, I installed a G5RV Mini in the attic which performs flawlessly on 20 through 10 including the WARC bands. Both are inside the attic and perform nicely.

However, looking at your house it appears to be stucco and that's not always a friendly material for radio signals, depending on how it was installed. An outside antenna is indicated.

So, why not try wrapping a horizontal loop around the outside eaves of the house? Looks like you have a nice wood fascia board all the way around just under the edge of the roof. Just string as much wire as you can get around the perimeter, staple it to the underside of the fascia board (and eventually paint over it). If you can, feed it with good quality twin lead made for transmitting (not window line, it's too noticeable), and run that into a vent or something into the house. Use a balanced line tuner (or at least an ordinary tuner with roller inductor and 4:1 balun).

And there you have it. An outdoor antenna suitable for at least 40m through 10m with a tuner, good for at least 100 watts, the neighbors and Neighborhood Nazis are none the wiser, and you get to play radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.