Dipole/J-Pole/Slim Jim for a Backyard Antenna for my Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamjimmy86

I'm looking for some advice for an external antenna that I can rig up with a simple base/post to better receive with the UV-5R. The last year I've enjoyed listening to the local repeaters (by local I mean any repeater within 20-40km from the QTH. Any advice would be appreciated. I currently have a Nagoya dual-band magnetic mound sitting on the metal window frame for my basement apartment that works okay but I'd like to set up something to receive them better/listen father away.

Note:
I don't have my ham license yet (Ontario, Canada) hence why I've only been listening, I'm currently studying and hoping to take the test in the next couple months. As I'd like to finally get on the air!

brainfreeze17

Before I got my callsign, I made a 300ohm twinlead slimjim for 2 meter and it recieves almost as good as my Scantenna SC2 for 2 meter and 70 cm. I made a 1/2" copper pipe slimjim for 2 meter/ 70 cm for my dual band and it's great for 2 meter, but swr is pretty hi for 70 cm. I also made one for 1.25 meter (220) and it works great. Just my experience.

KD9DKN

teufler

probably take longer coax, but do you know someone in the apartment above, that you could stick your mag mount on their window, frame. not sure if you have a metal frame outside or inside.

iamjimmy86

Before I got my callsign, I made a 300ohm twinlead slimjim for 2 meter and it recieves almost as good as my Scantenna SC2 for 2 meter and 70 cm. I made a 1/2" copper pipe slimjim for 2 meter/ 70 cm for my dual band and it's great for 2 meter, but swr is pretty hi for 70 cm. I also made one for 1.25 meter (220) and it works great. Just my experience.

KD9DKN

That's an interesting approach, I'll have to add that idea to my research. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.