Direct TV voice & video sync issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim202

I watch TV from around the country as I travel frequently. For a number of years I have complained directly to Direct TV about a technical issue they have. Bottom line if you watching a live broadcast like the local news, the voice doesn't go with the lip movement of the people on the news broadcast.

Complaining to the company (Direct TV) has brought mixed results. In one case I actually talked to the local TV station engineer and his comments were those idiots can't keep their hands off the uplink equipment that has the ability to electronically adjust the delays to prevent this problem.

In talking to the Direct TV customer service, they want to make you think that this is the problem of the TV set or the satellite receiver. They will send a tech out trying to tell you that it is caused by the wrong coax cable being used between the dish and the receiver or the receiver and your TV set. In my case they went through all that changing out the coax cables. Then the tech tries to push the blame on my big screen TV. Well I was ready for that and had an old TV set that was some 10 years old connected up. It also was showing the same sound sync problem as the big screen.

I asked the tech if his boss has a TV set in the office that he could look at the problem with on the channel we were looking at. He called and his boss looked at the same local news broadcast. Guess what, the boss said he saw the same problem.

I see this in just about every city I go to. Why do you as subscribers put up with this lack of technical laps of ability to resolve such a simple problem. The entire company want to make the customer feel like a dumb person that lacks the ability to know anything.

Jim

jackj

Jim, we had Dish Network for years and never had a problem until the change over to digital TV. We had the same problem as you with both with live local news as well as some of the cable channels. I used to think the problem was with the local or network control boards until, in a move to save money, we canceled Dish Network and went back to over-the-air TV. We have not had ANY problems since. I don't know what the problem is but it seems to be with the satellite or cable provider, something about the way the handle/decode the signals.

RBFunk

Try this

I canceled Directv back in January but I had a simple fix for this. Just hit pause then play and it seems to sync things back up. You may have to do it every time you change channels.
Bob

KJ4ODU

Premium Subscriber
I have worked for Directv and dish for a total of 8 years now. I have seen this over and over. 90% of the time the TV it self dose the syncing , and can be off, most newer TVs have a off set Sync setting.

DIRECTV How to troubleshoot lip sync issues

In each audio and video signal of ever channel there a "beacon " kind of thing( don't remember what its called) that tells the TV set to keep it here, But some TVs cant keep up.

Try using RCAs or other kinds of inputs, that might help.

jim202

Not that I am saying your wrong, but you need to understand that the audio and video are fixed in the digital stream. There is no adjustment or reset in a TV that can modify the electrical position of the audio and video sync. This is all done in the modulation equipment at the satellite uplink location. In the case of local programming, each area has their own uplink. Each channel they carry has the ability to control the lip sync of the signal. As you see this as a common problem all over the country, it can only be the lack of educational training of the technicians and engineers running the uplink equipment.

What really gets me is when you point this out to the company, the reply you get back is "We see no problem with the lip sync". They have to be totally blind not to see the issues on some of the local channels they carry. I have seen as much as half a second to 3/4 of a second delay difference between the lip movement and when you hear the sound. Even an almost blind person can see that and hear it.

Why does Direct TV think that trying to divert the issue back to the customer is going to fix the problem?

Another issue they are trying to deflect is the fact that their sat boxes are only putting out a mono audio signal on the RF carrier like on channel 3 or 4. The local service techs keep saying that it is the TV that is not getting or decoding the RF signal as stereo. Again they are trying to make the customers into dummies thinking they have an issue with their TV sets.

Jim

QUOTE=KJ4ODU;1667954]I have worked for Directv and dish for a total of 8 years now. I have seen this over and over. 90% of the time the TV it self dose the syncing , and can be off, most newer TVs have a off set Sync setting.

DIRECTV How to troubleshoot lip sync issues

In each audio and video signal of ever channel there a "beacon " kind of thing( don't remember what its called) that tells the TV set to keep it here, But some TVs cant keep up.

Try using RCAs or other kinds of inputs, that might help.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Bill28227

We had the same problem but with Time Warner cable TV. A TW tech suggested I change the HDMI cable from the TW box to the TV. He suggested going from HDMI to Composite cables. It would like a step backwards in being hi-tech but I tried it. It worked. Immediately it cleared up the syncing problem and has worked well ever since. That was my own personal experience in going into a HDTV,

Status
Not open for further replies.