Directional antenna for locating low-power FM broadcast stations?

KB2GOM

Recently, I became interested in chasing down some low-power community FM broadcast stations.

Yes, I know it is possible to build yagis to cover the commercial FM broadcast range, but I was hoping for something more compact and more readily portable...

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I've done this sort of thing before. In my case I had a general idea where the transmitting antenna was. When I got close in I removed the antenna from my receiving device and was able to find it using just signal strength indicator on my receiver. It's about as stealthy as you can get.

prcguy

Arrow Antenna makes a tiny VHF/UHF loop that works very well. Its bi-directional so you would want an idea of the general direction so you don't start off in the wrong direction. Its also much less sensitive than a Yagi but you will be searching for something of moderate power with the antenna up high so I should work ok at a reasonable distance.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Arrow Antenna makes a tiny VHF/UHF loop that works very well. Its bi-directional so you would want an idea of the general direction so you don't start off in the wrong direction. Its also much less sensitive than a Yagi but you will be searching for something of moderate power with the antenna up high so I should work ok at a reasonable distance.

I have used these for some time--both the larger and smaller loops from Arrow. As you say, they both work well. I mounted mine on a short thing piece of wood from Lowes. Using this with an SDR (I use airspy) with the AGC turned off and watching the display/eyes (not using your ears) is the best method I have found for locating stations.

prcguy

I have used these for some time--both the larger and smaller loops from Arrow. As you say, they both work well. I mounted mine on a short thing piece of wood from Lowes. Using this with an SDR (I use airspy) with the AGC turned off and watching the display/eyes (not using your ears) is the best method I have found for locating stations.
I like attenuating the signals down so they are noisy in AM mode then using my ears. A simple wide band receive amateur hand held like a Yaesu FT-60 or a newer FT-3DR works really well for this because its small, self powered and easy to walk around with.