Disable everything in BCT15 possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMM-BDA

I've done some searches on here for what I'm looking for, and perused all of the topics under this Uniden section, but couldn't find anything (that I could see) on this topic.

The BCT15 is a fantastic piece of equipment, but in my case I bought it for 1 purpose, and 1 purpose only: to scan 10 aviation channels, and those channels only. I'm not interested in Trunking or Bear Scanner features, nor am I interested in other features such as Close Call, etc., or the Weather or other bands, or searching for anything. OK, so this scanner is wee bit over-kill for what I want to use it for - I know. :)

Quite easily this isn't possible with this scanner, but is it by any chance possible to disable everything, and then only turn on what a person needs? In other words, for me to be able to disable everything, and then only program in the 10 frequencies that I want to scan?

By default everything is on. I set up a system & a group, and programmed the 10 requencies into that group. But when it started to scan, the scans kept getting interrupted by Close Call hits, and other bands such as Police cutting in. So I had to keep going through various menus and permanently lockout things that I have no interest in. For example, when you first turn the unit on, it starts up with Highway Patrol for Alabama, with HP displayed & BT flashing. I don't want any of that, so I would like to turn everything off. I realize that I can go through and turn them all off (or lockout) one by one, but is there a simple way to turn everything off?

Just curious, as it would make life so much easier. Thanks in advance.

wise871

Database Admin
Let me see if I can help. First I’m surprised you bought a BCT15 for just monitoring 10 channels. Maybe a Bank scanner would have been better. Anyway, to turn off the bearcat features, first hit the POL button. Keep hitting it till PL and DT are gone from the bottom of the display. Now hit the HP button. Keep hitting it till HP and BT are gone. They will not come back on unless you turn it on. As far as CloseCall, Hit MENU, scroll to CloseCall with the large knob, push in on the knob, turn to Set CC Mode, push large knob, select OFF, then hit Scan/Search button. See if that fixes your issues.

Note: Are using software to program the scanner or are you manually programming it?

Last edited:

JMM-BDA

Bingo. :)

Those steps are no doubt in the manual, but I've read the manual so many times that I've lost cound, and couldn't see where what I wanted to do was listed. I thought there might have been a simpler way to turn everything else off, and you've given me the solution I needed. Thanks - much appreciated.

For now I'm programming it manually, as the (CablesToGo) USB to Serial Adapter that I bought doesn't work with my BCT15. But that's for another post. ;-)

As for the over-kill, I originally bought the BC898T last week (although that's over-kill too), but the BC898T has that inherent problem of the first couple of seconds of each & every transmission that goes out over the Line Out jack are cut off. Speaker jack is fine, it's just with the Line Out. But I'm feeding the Bermuda link to LiveATC.net, so anything cut off (like the first couple of seconds) are no good. Other than that the 898 is a beautiful machine, and so much simpler (IMHO) than the BCT15. But I love the BCT15 too. :)

Anyway, thanks again for your help & have a great evening.

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
Glad I could help. Here is another tip if you just want to monitor a particular frequency. Say you want to monitor 126.500, hit HOLD, enter your frequency and hit HOLD again. Now you can monitor the frequency you just entered. To scan UP or DOWN from the freq you entered, just hit HOLD again and turn the knob in either direction. To resume normal scanning, just hit scan.

Enjoy the new scanner. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.