disappointed with 436 charging/SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedRHayes

I haven't got the 436hp yet cause on back order hope to be shipped out this Fri by HRO. I see the sd card is underneath the batteries which I don't understand. I thought it would be on the side like the PSR800 is. I may get another 4 or 8 gig card for back up cause I don't like transfer the files over the cable cause get errors. I know this for sure I won't be charging the batteries in the radio.

For what its worth, I've used my 436hp for a few weeks now. I've found that connecting the card with a the USB cable works pretty well. Unlike the PSR800 which I believe only transfers at USB 1.1 speeds, the 436hp appears to transfer at full USB 2.0 speed; I've had no issue with errors. I've not found it read/writes any faster when removed and connected to a high-speed card reader.

The microSD card holder mechanism is a little flimsy IMO (especially when I've tried to change the card without my strong reading glasses and good light!), so I only remove/change the card sparingly.

I always charge external to the scanner. I've can get 6-8 hours (POWEREX 2700) with backlight on, though a generally connect to a USB power source much of the time (both at home and mobile). And I keep one or two sets of spare charged batteries.

SCPD

QRT
If you are getting a week out of your batteries, then you are not listening very much. :confused: The problem lies in that you can not charge the batteries in the scanner at the same time you are listening to the scanner. Therefore, you have to turn off the scanner during the recharge time. Ok, with a full charge from overnight, I got a little over 7 hrs, which is not bad time wise on the batteries (busy systems and all). But now to charge them back up while in the scanner, I have to turn it off. :(

If you plugged in the Scanner is not using the Batteries.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
For what its worth, I've used my 436hp for a few weeks now. I've found that connecting the card with a the USB cable works pretty well. Unlike the PSR800 which I believe only transfers at USB 1.1 speeds, the 436hp appears to transfer at full USB 2.0 speed; I've had no issue with errors. I've not found it read/writes any faster when removed and connected to a high-speed card reader.

The microSD card holder mechanism is a little flimsy IMO (especially when I've tried to change the card without my strong reading glasses and good light!), so I only remove/change the card sparingly.

I always charge external to the scanner. I've can get 6-8 hours (POWEREX 2700) with backlight on, though a generally connect to a USB power source much of the time (both at home and mobile). And I keep one or two sets of spare charged batteries.

I think I saw something about the card slot on the 436hp is weak. I use the card reader to transfer the files back/forth. When I plug in the psr800 usb cord and when I'm done with transfers I am not able to unplug the usb cord with the computer on cause I get errors when I turn on the radio. I have to shut the computer down than unplug it. Since than I use the card reader.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up my 436 and am quite disappointed in the charging method of this unit. The inability to charge the radio while listening is a huge downfall.
I get the idea of using a mini USB to charge and connect the radio to a computer. Uniden could have at least included a small USB wall wart so it could be charged from a 110 outlet. I had to use the one from my phone. What was wrong with the 396 set up of a power input and the mini USB used for
But, I listen to my radio at work most all day and then at home or out in the evening. With my 396XT I could listen all day while charging at my desk at work, then take the radio home and run it on batteries until I shut it down to go to bed. I never had an issue of dead batteries when I wanted to listen. Now it looks like I will have to have a second set of batteries on a seperate charger to accomodate Unidens shortfall.
As for the SD card "holder", what a crap design. It is ok if you are going to put a card in once and leave it, but if you are going to be using multiple cards which I do for my 536, it is going to be a problem. The little metal door is flimsy and poorly designed. It has come off on me twice already in my attempt to change out the card (once). Why could they not have put a "socket" like the 536 inside the battery compartment that would have made inserting and removing a card a breeze.

Other that that, I am very pleased with the operation of the radio - so far.

Thanks for letting me rant my .02.

So why did you buy it? There have been dozens of comments on "how it works" and follow that with - Why don't you return it?

Same posts, same whining over & over.

DMSROX2

I would like a extra couple of sets of GOOD AA Rechargeable batteries for my 436? Any recommendations? I've purchase some BTY 3000 NiMH batteries off of eBay, they were junk, this is why I said GOOD batteries. I'm sure someone here has a recommendation of one they are very happy with!

Thanks,

Donnie

KSDeputy

I had a computer crash just before the BCD436HP scanner came. It took 2.5 weeks to get the new computer, and most of another week to set it up. All I did with the scanner was to charge it on my other computer. I read all the problems on this forum that this scanner apparently has. I studied the vietnamese manual. I returned it this morning. I wish all of you the best of luck.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You never tried to use it? You know, we issued an update for it that fixed much of what has been reported thus far.

Hit_Factor

I need at least 6' of cable for where I want to place the 436 during the day at work. Is it safe to get a USB extension cable like this?

Belkin 6' USB Extension Cable F3U153-06-SN - Best Buy

If it's not you will see slow transfers. I would use it if it appears well built, quality cables can be longer.

I don't think safety is an issue at all, but I'm thinking safe to you doesn't mean the same to me.

KSDeputy

No, I never tried to use it. The manual was awful. Couple that with all of the reported problems, I only had 30 days in which to return it for a refund. If you were able to fix the problems, you should have done that before you started selling it. I have 5 Uniden scanners, and one AOR scanner that are analog, and are pretty much worthless now. I haven't seen a converter box for them, like there were when analog television went digital. I admit due to my computer problems I did not have the time to devote to trying out the scanner. I did not know the problems were fixed, and did not want to go past the 30 window in which I could get a refund.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Not that it matters much now that the radio is already out, but the fact that you can't charge the batteries and operate the radio at the same time is one of the chief "complaints" I hear from people when I show them the new scanner. I tell them it's not that big of a deal but it does seem like it would be to the uninitiated. What I have found is that I can charge the batteries and then run it via USB whenever I'm at work or at home, etc. and the stock included batteries last all day and then some that way.

For future models, it might be worth considering that just about every portable electronic device known to man can be charged and operated at the same time, so that's what people expect when they purchase a new device. Also, having 3 batteries is a bit oddball and makes charging them outside of the scanner a bit of a challenge - I'd suggest having it use 4 next time so that any cheapo battery charger could be used.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.