Disaster Drill - Plane Crash "Scheduled" at Chattanooga Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.
West of the Muddy Creek, East of the Big Hill.
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/chattanooga_967407___article.html/airport_emergency.html

Disaster Drill - Plane Crash "Scheduled" at Chattanooga Airport

Richard Simms
March 24, 2008 - 1:31PM

You can expect to see some unusual "emergency responders activity" in and around the Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport Tuesday.

The Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport Authority, in conjunction with local emergency response agencies, will be conducting a full-scale exercise on Tuesday, March 25, 2008, beginning around 10:00 a.m.

In the exercise scenario, a plane carrying approximately 150 passengers crashes shortly after taking off the runway at Lovell Field. The simulated crash site will be located a short distance from the runway. Roughly 30-40 volunteer "victims" will be scattered around the wreckage site. The responding agencies expected to be involved include the airport's fire department, Chattanooga Fire Department, Chattanooga Police Department, Hamilton County Emergency Services, Chattanooga-Hamilton County Rescue and Volunteer State Water Rescue.

Of course you can expect complete coverage of the exercise on www.NewsChannel9.com and beginning on NewsChannel 9 Midday.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Those are always sooo much fun... We had one last year at the Rockford (IL) airport.. Keep an ear on the local ham freqs, the local ARES group should have people there too..

We had a "for real" call out in the middle of our drill, an airport maint truck caught fire in the middle of the drill, took 2 trucks away from the drill.. Dang near cooked the poor "victims" waiting on the tarmac while everything was on hold...

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I sat and listened to the drill. Very informative! However I thought that they might have used more channels for the drill, but I guess it was not necessary. I kind of thought that they might use some of the "digital equipment" to test it out, but I didn't hear any.

Disaster 1 and CMA -Fire/Crash is what I heard everything on. I had two (2) radios going, and once I found that only these two channels were being used, I locked each on the specific channel and listened. Seamed really well coordinated!

Status
Not open for further replies.