BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Discharge Rate

BC2001

Jesse
So I've had the 436HP for 1 or 2 years now. Since I've had this scanner, I've noticed that when putting in fresh NiMH batteries, the battery voltage initially decreases fairly rapidly. It starts a little above 4.0 volts, and then drops to, give or take, 3.70 volts. At that point, it starts dropping much more gradually. I assume this isnt a problem considering I got just over 9 hours of nonstop usage with 2,000 MAh amazon rechargeables the other day.

What I am wondering though is whether anyone else has noticed/experienced this with their BCD436HP? Is there any explanation on this? Is this just how Nimh batteries operate?

I appreciate the answers in advance, everyone! :)

RMason

Premium Subscriber
That is typical behavior of NiMH batteries. The initial drop from an open-circuit voltage of approximately 1.4 volts to a 1.2 volt plateau occurs rapidly. The battery will then maintain near this plateau until it exhibits a sharp "knee" at the end of the discharge where the voltage drops quickly.

BC2001

Jesse
That is typical behavior of NiMH batteries. The initial drop from an open-circuit voltage of approximately 1.4 volts to a 1.2 volt plateau occurs rapidly. The battery will then maintain near this plateau until it exhibits a sharp "knee" at the end of the discharge where the voltage drops quickly.
Thank you for the answer, @RMason.

Roydog62

So I've had the 436HP for 1 or 2 years now. Since I've had this scanner, I've noticed that when putting in fresh NiMH batteries, the battery voltage initially decreases fairly rapidly. It starts a little above 4.0 volts, and then drops to, give or take, 3.70 volts. At that point, it starts dropping much more gradually. I assume this isnt a problem considering I got just over 9 hours of nonstop usage with 2,000 MAh amazon rechargeables the other day.

What I am wondering though is whether anyone else has noticed/experienced this with their BCD436HP? Is there any explanation on this? Is this just how Nimh batteries operate?

I appreciate the answers in advance, everyone! :)
I own two BCD436HPs and I started using the following nimh batteries: "white" EBL 2800mah, Duracell 2500mah, X2PAA 2700mah (batteries plus). My voltages usually start at 4.2v and batteries die @ 3.2v . I invested in a smart charger that will truly charge your batteries to their full voltage and mA. I get 10.5 to 11 hrs listening to 10 different very active departments in Southeastern Virginia. Also check out your low battery voltage settings. I use 3100mw. Opus BT-C3400 Smart charger is what I use on all my batteries. Best $62.00 ever spent. Good luck 👍