Discone Antenna ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

Ok I need some help on a discone DMN-D130NJ (Diamond ) super D130J . Is this worth the money? or is it not ? This is for my home base ? This would replace my ScanCanIII antenna witch is mounted on the BASKit Larson base antenna .

prcguy

I believe the COMPACTenna Scan III on a ground plane mount would outperform the d130J Discone on the 800 band. In the 150MHz and 450MHz range I think they would be similar. But the D130J will definitely work better on VHF and UHF air bands and anywhere outside the resonant ranges of the COMPACTenna. I have not specifically tested this and its my opinion.

KO4IPV

I believe the COMPACTenna Scan III on a ground plane mount would outperform the d130J Discone on the 800 band. In the 150MHz and 450MHz range I think they would be similar. But the D130J will definitely work better on VHF and UHF air bands and anywhere outside the resonant ranges of the COMPACTenna. I have not specifically tested this and its my opinion.
My intent was to get better reception with the p25 phase 1 and 2 not pulling in those frequency’s on the higher side from the setup I have for one there is none in my area, the nearest full set of p25 or D is 50 miles from we’re I am at , however I do get all the conventional at that distance , I thought just maybe it was my antenna setup , the Compactenna Scan III that I have is on a ground plane mount, I hear this Discone is very recommended, but if it’s not necessary I will save my money thanks for the input.

prcguy

What frequency range is the stuff you are trying to get? What kind of terrain is in between you and the area you want to receive? 50 miles over flat ground is going to be a challenge at any frequency but if you have some altitude and its mostly line of sight then it should not be a big deal.

Antenna height on your end can make a noticeable difference. Sometimes going up 10 more feet can bring things in that were not possible before.

My intent was to get better reception with the p25 phase 1 and 2 not pulling in those frequency’s on the higher side from the setup I have for one there is none in my area, the nearest full set of p25 or D is 50 miles from we’re I am at , however I do get all the conventional at that distance , I thought just maybe it was my antenna setup , the Compactenna Scan III that I have is on a ground plane mount, I hear this Discone is very recommended, but if it’s not necessary I will save my money thanks for the input.

KO4IPV

What frequency range is the stuff you are trying to get? What kind of terrain is in between you and the area you want to receive? 50 miles over flat ground is going to be a challenge at any frequency but if you have some altitude and its mostly line of sight then it should not be a big deal.

Antenna height on your end can make a noticeable difference. Sometimes going up 10 more feet can bring things in that were not possible before.
10 feet I will try ! Thanks again

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget to use coax that is low loss for the desired frequencies to be received. Antenna height is great if you need it to "see over an object in the path of reception", but it's only part of the equation.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
If you get the Diamond the N model is better in the higher range when used with good coax. The antenna doesn't care whether you're listening to digital or analog - it's all RF. A discone is, at best, a unity gain antenna. For long range reception you might want to get a yagi and point it in the direction of the system you want to receive.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Another antenna to consider is the:

OmniX Scanner Base Antenna

KO4IPV

Thank you monitor I just ordered the Omni X read the reviews trust your opinion I’ll give it a try

KO4IPV

If you get the Diamond the N model is better in the higher range when used with good coax. The antenna doesn't care whether you're listening to digital or analog - it's all RF. A discone is, at best, a unity gain antenna. For long range reception you might want to get a yagi and point it in the direction of the system you want to receive.
Thankyou for the recommendation for the Diamond and the Yagi, I also was looking at the Omni X for which it is good for scanners and good reception recommendations for that type of antenna were good I decided to go with that.

scanmanmi

Go to Google Earth, click Add then Path. Click your location and then the transmitter location and hit OK. Right Click the path (the mouse will not change) and click View Elevation Profile.
If you want to adjust antenna height right click the path and go to properties, altitude.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Question do you have personal experience with this OmniX ?

Yes I do. Both the OmniX Scanner Base Antenna and the Miltenna Omni UHF/VHF Base Antenna (for airbands) work very well. Due to a number of reasons, either health or weather, I never got them up on the roof or even outside for that matter. I used them on a 9ft tall tripod light stand in my home office (high ceilings) and they surprised me! I did add a Steidsberg MCA204M Multicoupler Preamp to the Miltenna and the performance was well worth the investment with no increase in noise even considering it was analog communications not FM or digital.

MilTenna Omni UHF/VHF Base Antenna

MCA204M

KO4IPV

And that is indoors ! Well thanks again for the advice looking forward to receiving my OmniX . I will be putting it outside and all I have is 1 scanner at this time but will not need that multicoupler Just yet !!!!

KO4IPV

Go to Google Earth, click Add then Path. Click your location and then the transmitter location and hit OK. Right Click the path (the mouse will not change) and click View Elevation Profile.
If you want to adjust antenna height right click the path and go to properties, altitude.
Thanks will do !!

Status
Not open for further replies.