Discone Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Nope - I used to have one of the ICOM discones before it was "removed from my ownership involuntarily". Used it inside quite a bit but never got the chance to mount it outside before it was no longer in my possession.

Scanner Master has it listed here: DA3200 Wideband Discone Base Antenna | Scanner Master.

-Mike

It doesn't indicate that is an ICOM. ICOM makes a few discones but that part number DA3200 is an AOR from everything I've seen.

1599767571816.png

Mike_G_D

My mistake! I could have sworn the Scanner Master one I linked to said "ICOM" - I couldn't remember the model number but know the one I had was an ICOM. I used Google search and entered "ICOM Discone" and the link I gave was at the top. Like I said - could have sworn it really said "ICOM" when I clicked on the link.

Oh well, the ICOM, Diamond, and I'm guessing, the AOR model are all very similar.

-Mike

MDScanFan

If price matters then consider the tram 1410. It’s ~1/8 to 1/2 the price of the other recommendations. I had mine outside for 5 years without any issues. I would not recommend it for an inaccessible installation, like the top of a tower, but for mounting to a house or attic it would be fine.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My mistake! I could have sworn the Scanner Master one I linked to said "ICOM" - I couldn't remember the model number but know the one I had was an ICOM. I used Google search and entered "ICOM Discone" and the link I gave was at the top. Like I said - could have sworn it really said "ICOM" when I clicked on the link.

Oh well, the ICOM, Diamond, and I'm guessing, the AOR model are all very similar.

-Mike

No problem. To add to the confusion there are several other manufactures making something very similar.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If price matters then consider the tram 1410. It’s ~1/8 to 1/2 the price of the other recommendations.
I have one indoors. It works great, but I would get a better quality unit for an outdoor tower mount.

majoco

Stirrer
I don't know who made mine but it seems to have fatter elements than most - it was 'liberated' from the roof of an aircraft hangar that was being demolished (with permission of course!) way back in the mid 90's and has never let me down. Not shown in this pic is the little shroud for the N connector made out of a plastic pill bottle - it's bone dry in there but the spiders love it! I think this antenna is more likely to be a professional product rather than one you could buy cheaply from your ham radio outlet - all the elements are filled with foam which I imagine dampens the mechanical resonances and the central hub is a couple of aluminium castings - the elements are bolted on into a hemispherical slot.

Attachments

• DSCF0445 sml2.jpg
    DSCF0445 sml2.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

prcguy

Yup, that looks like a nice commercial quality Discone you have there.

I don't know who made mine but it seems to have fatter elements than most - it was 'liberated' from the roof of an aircraft hangar that was being demolished (with permission of course!) way back in the mid 90's and has never let me down. Not shown in this pic is the little shroud for the N connector made out of a plastic pill bottle - it's bone dry in there but the spiders love it! I think this antenna is more likely to be a professional product rather than one you could buy cheaply from your ham radio outlet - all the elements are filled with foam which I imagine dampens the mechanical resonances and the central hub is a couple of aluminium castings - the elements are bolted on into a hemispherical slot.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I don't know who made mine but it seems to have fatter elements than most - it was 'liberated' from the roof of an aircraft hangar that was being demolished (with permission of course!) way back in the mid 90's and has never let me down. Not shown in this pic is the little shroud for the N connector made out of a plastic pill bottle - it's bone dry in there but the spiders love it! I think this antenna is more likely to be a professional product rather than one you could buy cheaply from your ham radio outlet - all the elements are filled with foam which I imagine dampens the mechanical resonances and the central hub is a couple of aluminum castings - the elements are bolted on into a hemispherical slot.

At first glance I thought it was possibly a Kreco, but there are subtle differences.

majoco

Stirrer
Don't forget I'm in New Zealand and we did have some good antenna manufacturers here - Deltec made some good stuff and Lincrad makes good solid TV antennas like this one.....

Attachments

• DSCF0443 sml.jpg
    DSCF0443 sml.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 39

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am sold on the Diamonds, have used them for years. The big one on my house and the little one (220n) on my Winnebago Via. I don't leave home without it ;)

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I have a Diamond discone for one of my scanner antennas up on my house for years and never had a problem with it recoption wise or build quality wise.

So as you can guess I recommend a Diamond discone :D

Status
Not open for further replies.