discone fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

How many of you have a discone base antenna and are totally satisfied with its performance? Just wondering as I feel mine is really good (up to 50 miles on UHF and 5 bars on 800 MHZ here in S.F.) Another reason I'm asking is to see if there's a dramatic upgrade out there in your opinions over the discone.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The discone is not considered a high performance antenna. Although it is a wide-band antenna.

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
i like the scantenna myself got it 25 feet. i will pull in signal from as far away as 80 miles. but ive never used a discone so i cant really compare them

rafale01010

harper
You said 80 miles, im taking it thats a good day. Do you have a pre-amp or just the antenna itself? I live on the highest point in the county so i figured i might be able to pick up a good bit if i get the Scantenna, which i plan on getting very soon.

I really like my Diamond D130J. I also have an ST2 Scantenna, and the difference between the two is almost nil. The ST2 wins on VHF-lo and VHF-hi, while the Diamond wins for UHF. 800 is a wash, but both do OK for what I need to monitor.

I also use my Diamond for TX on MURS, GMRS, and 6 Meter Ham. It does pretty nicely on MURS and GMRS, and it is OK on 6, nothing to write home about, but good for a few miles.

hoser147

I have both, the discone x 3 and the scantenna, for the money and all around performance I like the Scantenna, the discones dont do 800 near as well. Hoser

prcguy

I have several Discones up made by Kreco, Astron and RS. At 350ft altitude near the coast in Los Angeles, I can hear stations in San Diego 125mi away and a bunch of crap from Mexico at least 135mi away.
prcguy

Airdorn

I get stuff from maybe 50 miles away, but that may be because beyond that range, its just hayseed hicks and their moonshine stills. :)

It does very well on 800 mhz. I absolutely love the Scantenna.

ridgescan

Thank you for all the feedback-I'm totally good on 800MHZ with the discone. UHF is good to 50 miles. You're weighing in with the scantenna so I'm gonna go have a look at one out in Oakland. 73s

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
rafale01010 said:
harper
You said 80 miles, im taking it thats a good day. Do you have a pre-amp or just the antenna itself? I live on the highest point in the county so i figured i might be able to pick up a good bit if i get the Scantenna, which i plan on getting very soon.

im sorry that should have said 60 instead of 80. guess i need to read what i type before i post.sorry for the misleading info

ReCall

I'm like PRCguy, just love a fat Discone, I have 3 up now, 2 vhf's and 1 I just put up in the attic that I made for the MilAir (200-400) all with 1/2" aluminum tubing, next to discone's I like my folded dipole.

ReCall

zguy1243

I am a discone and log fan. I have 2 scantennas but I just cant justify using them over a log periodic. The Scantenna is just as directional as the LP, if not more.

hoser147

zguy1243 said:
I am a discone and log fan. I have 2 scantennas but I just cant justify using them over a log periodic. The Scantenna is just as directional as the LP, if not more.

I too have noticed the Scantenna being directional on 800 mhz systems, That makes 3 of us that have came to the same conclusion, Dubbin also noticed the same thing on 800mhz, the Ohio MARCs system to be exact, for Dubbin and Myself.................Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.