Discone in Boneyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

shipfixer

Premium Subscriber
Hi all. My first time posting. I have a nice discone antenna but beginning to wonder about interference and large bodies of water. I live in Alaska presently on the job at a shipyard in my RV, right on the bay. I'm stuck here for the next 4 months and have my sdr gear with me for entertainment. My question(s) are does a large body of water help or hinder reception? And also, being surrounded by dry-docked boats on three sides (aluminum and steel), , shipping containers, and all manners of heavy equipment in the boneyard here, will that also mess me up? My antenna is about 70 feet elevation on a tall security light mast. Just hoping to get some ideas before getting the crane guy to hoist me up in a basket again to move it. Thanks. Greetings from Seward, Alaska.

a417

My antenna is about 70 feet elevation on a tall security light mast. Just hoping to get some ideas before getting the crane guy to hoist me up in a basket again to move it. Thanks. Greetings from Seward, Alaska.
are the metal containers higher than that 70' light mast? If not, you should be good to go. H.A.A.T is your friend.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Salt water usually helps radio signals. It's a big flat (mostly) ground plane, but unless the signals you want to hear are on the other side of the water, it's unlikely to be benefitting you.

As for the all the metal surrounding you, if your antenna is not above that, it can impact your reception.

Just remember, each time you raise your antenna, you'll need more coaxial cable. All coaxial cable has some amount of signal loss. If it's not good quality stuff, you're likely losing a fair amount of signal just in the cable.

shipfixer

Premium Subscriber
are the metal containers higher than that 70' light mast? If not, you should be good to go. H.A.A.T is your friend.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me so long to get back. Been on the road. And no, the containers and all the other stuff is much lower. I've since posting last time moved the antenna to the top of another light pole. 200 ft. up. It's way higher than anything near here, but mountains on three sides. The other side is open sea. I'm getting some crazy good reception now!

shipfixer

Premium Subscriber
Salt water usually helps radio signals. It's a big flat (mostly) ground plane, but unless the signals you want to hear are on the other side of the water, it's unlikely to be benefitting you.

As for the all the metal surrounding you, if your antenna is not above that, it can impact your reception.

Just remember, each time you raise your antenna, you'll need more coaxial cable. All coaxial cable has some amount of signal loss. If it's not good quality stuff, you're likely losing a fair amount of signal just in the cable.
Kind thanks for taking time to reply. I just got back from another job and have recently relocated my antenna(s) to a 200 ft. light pole. At the top of the pole was power that I could tap into for an amplifier. I'm getting unreal reception now for my location. Surrounded by mountains on three sides and ocean to the horizon on the other. I get tons of ships and other vessels on the water. Air traffic very clear also. The place I'm working now had miles of top-notch coax in a container they let me have. I think it once belonged to a communications company here long ago. How lucky could you get. A 200 foot antenna mast and unlimited coax! I've just started learning about SDR's and my head is about to explode.

shipfixer

Premium Subscriber
It would be great to see some pics.
Been away for a while and just now got a chance to thank you for the reply. No pics as of yet, but I have a good drone and will get some pics and video. My antenna is now 200 ft. high on a new pole. Should make for some interesting pictures.

WB9YBM

does a large body of water help or hinder reception? And also, being surrounded by dry-docked boats on three sides (aluminum and steel), , shipping containers, and all manners of heavy equipment in the boneyard here, will that also mess me up?

The water is a good thing since, at least where the water is there are no skyscrapers or other "ground clutter" to interfere with the signal path (also if you're close enough to throw a wire into it without it getting too long, it makes for one heck of a great grounding system / ground plane). As far as the nearby equipment's concerned, as long as your antenna is above it all, no problem.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is there a light on top of that pole anywhere near your antenna? If there is, depending on what kind it could cause problems with reception when it's on.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The place I'm working now had miles of top-notch coax in a container they let me have. I think it once belonged to a communications company here long ago. How lucky could you get. A 200 foot antenna mast and unlimited coax! I've just started learning about SDR's and my head is about to explode.

If you don't mind, where are you located? I spent quite a bit of time in Alaska. Just curious if I've ever been where you are.

W5lz

It sounds like you've found your solution, I'd stick with it. There will always be 'draw-backs' to any installation, make the best of it and don't waste a lot of good worry over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.