Discone -> pipes are loose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sorry I dont know how the steel things called in english but the pips are screw in.
The problem the construction is rubbish. When I wiggle around the get very quick loose and fall off.
How can I fix that? Super glue?

wtp

well

most that i have seen have a nut that goes on the tube/pipe first .
then you screw in the tube and then tighten the nut to keep it from doing what it did.

N5TWB

Anything that has threads on it needs blue Loc-Tite on it to keep it from loosening easily. It will still come apart when necessary but ordinary vibrations won't loosen the threads so easily.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My Antenna is a Sigma SE 1300. The was the best looking Discone Antenna from Ebay.
Yes this is the missing word.
The could get very loose.

prcguy

As someone mentioned, the elements normally come with threaded nuts. You put the nut on the element threads, screw the element in all the way into the antenna base then tighten the nut to lock the element in place.

If there are no nuts then I would use a tool with teeth, we call them pliers in the US, and grab the element tightly with the tool and make it very tight into the base of the antenna. I have several Discone antennas that don't use nuts and they have been working fine for 20+ years outside without the elements becoming loose.
prcguy

My Antenna is a Sigma SE 1300. The was the best looking Discone Antenna from Ebay.
Yes this is the missing word.
The could get very loose.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Maybe she needed some pliers and a lock nut?
prcguy

DOH!
facepalm.gif

wtp

over here

over here most discones have elements that screw in.
a picture of the antenna would be nice. and of the end that goes into the antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.