Discone Purchase Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to decide which discone out there will best suit my needs. I am looking at the Win Radio, AOR, Diamond and Comet discones and would like to cover up to 3 gHz. althought 1.3 gHz. will suffice. I have the AOR AR8200MKIII at the moment and will be adding a GRE PSR-400 and PSR-600. For initial ease of installation I have gotten a Grove "Through The Window" Flat Jumper Cable which I assume is 75 Ohms or better. This means I will be using RG6 cable. I realize there is a slight impedance mis-match but I am not looking to pull in the Mars Explorer...just local stuff most of which comes in fairly well on the telescopic whip. However, better reception is needed for commercial and military air comms. Plus, I have a butt load of RG6 and weatherproof F connectors laying around. There will be about 50 feet from antenna connector to radio connector.

Mounting space is not too much of an issue as the antenna will mounted atop a 10 ft. piece of 1 1/2 inch metal conduit attached to a corner post of my deck in back of the house. This post is already 10 ft off the ground so the antenna top will be about even with the peak of the roof. I guess I will have to run some number 4 copper wire to a ground rod as well. Is that little Grove ATi-EMP lightening arrestor any good?

My G5RV took a direct hit about two months ago so I am a lot better educated now about lightening arresting/abatement. My HF transceiver is still in the shop! No, the antenna was not connected at the time. The surge must have come through the AC ground and yes, I will be bonding both AC and RF grounds together

So tell me, radio friends...which antenna should I purchase?

Last edited:
C

comsec1

kreco antennas

the kreco antennas are built very good, much better then any of the ones sold for scanners. these are commercial grade. solid elements that screw into the center piece.

Jakemcgraw

Diamond makes a good discone the d130 nj, with type N-connector, which is about 5 1/2 Ft. tall...and one of my favorites I currantly own, the AOR ds3000a is a great antenna, its more compact at about 2.9 Ft. tall solid stainless steel elements, very sturdy and well built, and has the better N-type connection for your coax..check the reviews on eham.net on these antennas, they both have good reviews.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Diamond D130J!!!!!

I second the Diamond discone idea. Its well built and therefore holds up very well in bad weather. I helped my friend put one up on the side of his house about 7 years ago. He is moving next month and that is the ONLY reason its coming down. Its never been down in all these years and still has all its radials and parts.

Manny

K8PBX

Diamond D130 Discone

Here's yet another thumbs-up for the Diamond D130 discone. I've had one for over 20 years and it's still in fine shape - despite the many harsh Michigan winters, high winds, freezing rain, etc...

ch40n1k

Count me in for the Diamond D130NJ as well. I purchased one recently, with the N connector and I'm impressed ... I abused it pretty good getting it up in the air. It's a really solid antenna ...
I ordered mine from AES for about 100 bucks. SWR is about 1.2:1 at 147 and solid receive across the board.

Last edited:

prcguy

KRECO is nice but last time I checked the amateur price was around $150 for the 100 to 800MHz model. I give another vote for the Diamond D-130 for good quality vs price.
prcguy
the kreco antennas are built very good, much better then any of the ones sold for scanners. these are commercial grade. solid elements that screw into the center piece.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Not to hijack the thread (I promise). Just curious, how does the Diamond Discone compare to the ST2 Scantenna? I have the ST2 in my attic and it does (what I think) is a very good job....but is rather large.

Jakemcgraw

Not to hijack the thread (I promise). Just curious, how does the Diamond Discone compare to the ST2 Scantenna? I have the ST2 in my attic and it does (what I think) is a very good job....but is rather large.
I have both ,and monitor 46 mhz,,155-162.000 mhz and 453-463.000 mhz ranges mostly and usually i have noticed less static and clearer transmissions on same freq's with the diamond d130nj..can't say for the 800mhz range as i don't monitor that.

Last edited:

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. I am getting good reception across the board, but I always want a little better...keeps me interested in this hobby. LOL

My ST2 does well on 800, but for distant signals, the Yagi helps a lot. I probably scan 99% of the time just using the ST2 though. Considering a discone just to play...

hoser147

Its kinda give and take, I agree with Jake the quality of the signals I get on the discone are better in the 150 thru 400 range, the ST2 does better on distant 800 mhz and has a little better range but more background noise..................Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.