Discone vs Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Diamond is an antenna manufacture, what model do you have?

Discone is a type of antenna, manufactured by several companies. Which discone are you considering?

What bands/frequencies are you wanting to improve reception on?

I take it we are to assume this is for home/base use, even though you have a hand-held radio?

cfr301

I just got a RH77CA Today and WOW!! a big Notable difference on my 106 from the Stock antenna mostly on conv VHF bands so far. Its ALMOST as good as my 197 on the outside antenna. There some really distant stuff the 197 on outside antenna gets that the 106 isn't inside but holy cow a big difference.

That Rubber Duck antenna is long enough to use as a fishing pole but its very flexible!

Wahoos4Life

I just got a RH77CA Today and WOW!! a big Notable difference on my 106 from the Stock antenna mostly on conv VHF bands so far. Its ALMOST as good as my 197 on the outside antenna. There some really distant stuff the 197 on outside antenna gets that the 106 isn't inside but holy cow a big difference.

That Rubber Duck antenna is long enough to use as a fishing pole but its very flexible!

Inever noticed a real big differnce over the rh77ca and the 106 stock.On a couple freqs I would faintly pick up on the diamond that the stock antenna wouldnt even consider getting unless I was next door.

Im looking for something that would show me a noticable difference over the diamond/stock.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The regular discone on scannermasters site

the RH77CA

Home use(for the discone)

All bands

Goal : Further out reception

The RH77CA performs best in the 450MHz band, and very well in the 150MHz band. But it's not really designed for the 800MHz band, although it works ok.

Likewise, most of the more popular discones are designed for the same bands, and not the best choice for the 800 MHz band, unless you buy a discone designed for that band. Then of course you sacrifice performance in the 150, and 450MHz bands.

If you truly need to cover all three bands, and want to increase performance, you should consider a log periodic antenna. DPD Productions sells one, that I would personally recommend.

118 - 1000MHz Scanner LP Antenna
DPD Productions - Scanner / Radio Antennas for Commercial & Hobbyist Applications

lmrtek

ALL Discones are a COMPROMISE antenna.

If you want REAL performance you must have a GAIN antenna designed for the frequency.

clawhammer

Discone antenna

The RH77CA performs best in the 450MHz band, and very well in the 150MHz band. But it's not really designed for the 800MHz band, although it works ok.

Likewise, most of the more popular discones are designed for the same bands, and not the best choice for the 800 MHz band, unless you buy a discone designed for that band. Then of course you sacrifice performance in the 150, and 450MHz bands.

If you truly need to cover all three bands, and want to increase performance, you should consider a log periodic antenna. DPD Productions sells one, that I would personally recommend.

118 - 1000MHz Scanner LP Antenna
DPD Productions - Scanner / Radio Antennas for Commercial & Hobbyist Applications
Just my 2 cents for 800mhz, where I live just about eveything is on 800mhz and tried many differnt antennas for 800mhz but none really worked well, so I thought about buying a discone and cut all the elements to 3.5 inches and mounted up on my tower and has worked very well. the 450mhz works but not all that great but if you want and 800mhz this would be an easy way to go. I will upload my picture of my discone I cut for 800mhz. the other antenna next to it is the Grove scanner beam. I put electrical tape on it and really got neighbors talking, LOL

Attachments

• 800discone.jpg
    800discone.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,122
Status
Not open for further replies.