Discone vs yagi

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb225662

Iam putting up a yagi replacing my rs discone what will I lose if anything? will I stll pick-up Marcs system in Ohio and conventional channels.

w2xq

Mentor
In free space, a yagi will be somewhat directional, depending upon the number of elements. Your discone is non-directional. HTH.

roadranger

Uni-directional vs. Directional

Discone antennas see and transmit in all directions.
Yagis focus most energy in one general direction.
Without rotating the RS antenna, you will receive in any and all directions.
While rotating your beam, it is easy to tune out, or even phase out other signals on nearby frequencies.

jackj

You will loose the wide bandwidth of the discone. You will loose the omnidirectional coverage of the Discone. You will gain the directionality (is that a word?) of the yagi. You will gain signal strength in the forward direction of the yagi. You will gain reduced signal pickup in all direction except the forward direction.

As far as picking up MARCS, yes you will still be able to pick it up....IF. The yagi will have to be one tuned for 800 MHz and will have to be pointed toward a MARCS tower.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Yagi = narrow band and unidirectional

Discone = wide band and omni-directional.

If you change out antennas, you will greatly reduce signal strength on EVERYTHING outside the frequency range and direction of the yagi. Is that what you want?

cb225662

No just having multi path problems been messing around with yagi moving around cant find right spot stll having same problems, I thnik Iam just in a bad spot. giving on trying to figure this out.

benbenrf

cb225662

Are you sure what you are experiencing is "multi-path"? Generally Yagi's, and other directionals, are pretty quiet antennas - comparatively. Can you describe what you are hearing, or not hearing?

cb225662

I have 5 bars on scanner, They blink at times, broken transmissions, missed call, garbled transmissions,error rate high.BCD996xt radio is set at 11 and 50 moved the yagi in all directions same happened in all directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.